Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hung and dry aged Turkey for the Ultimate Turkey recipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hung and dry aged Turkey for the Ultimate Turkey recipe.

Hello friends,

I've been a Huge fan of Meathead's Ultimate Turkey for a long while. On my smoker there is nothing better!! I'm over in the UK visiting family and taken on the Turkey cooking duty, but sadly in the oven only this time. I've gone to dry brine the turkey and realised the turkey is dry aged. I've not come across this in the US before and so I'm a little apprehensive about screwing up the Christmas turkey.

Am I right in that I should just proceed as normal? I've wet the bird with some water and added some salt but can back peddle that pretty fast if I've gone down the wrong path.

Thanks,
    Sy

Wow, I've never heard of dry-aged poultry. That's... interesting. Do you have any specifics? This was dry-aged commercially or something? Or done after purchase? If so, how long and under what conditions? As in, how long, what temp, was it hung or what? Sorry if I'm really obtuse here, just this is a totally new concept to me - dry-aged poultry.

Comment

Sy_662, I am in @tRidiot's Camp ❓❓❓❓ More Questions Than Useful Information❓ I think in this Case I Would Talk at Length to the Most Senior Member and Best Cook of the Clan and Follow Their Advice to From H--L To Breakfast❓ ☃ 🎄 🎄 "GOOD LUCK" & HAPPY HOLIDAYS
      TO YOU AND YOURS❗️🎄 🎄 ☃
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; December 24, 2017, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Having game birds is an ancient practice in Europe from before refrigeration. I have tasted pheasant hung, and it is a bit funky. But the chef made a rich sauce that complemented it. You rarely see it nowadays. I'm thinking that gravy in my recipe might come in handy...

Comment

Funky is a very kind descriptor.
          My Scotts buds tell me the pheasant is hung by the neck until it drops off and then it is ready to go.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Ewwwww.

Originally posted by Cheef View Post
          Funky is a very kind descriptor.
          My Scotts buds tell me the pheasant is hung by the neck until it drops off and then it is ready to go.

What tha.....?

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            They claim it is the only way to eat pheasant. I am from pheasant country and have eaten hundreds of them. MY description of pheasant is..it is going to be tuff and dry. All you have to do is clean one and you're going to see the reason. MUSCLE and absolutely no fat. I quit hunting them when I was a kid and switched over to quail. Quail is DELICIOUS!!

Weird, I've been replying to msgs via email, but they don't seem to be posting??

So this came from a mainstream supermarket here called Waitrose. Picture from the attachment attached and here is the link to the bird online: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...-226686-226687

Stupidly I wasn't paying attention when my Mum picked it out.

Meathead - your gravy is definitely on the cards, but I have concerns about the moisture levels given the dry aging. Any thoughts other than that gravy pan underneath per the instructions?

Thanks everyone!

Sy
          Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd just consider it as being similar to an extended dry brining - they're saying "at least 7 days". Not all that long.

Here is a very good article on the why's of Dry Aging fowl. http://www.outdoornews.com/2014/01/3...owl-dry-aging/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here