Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked and then deep fried turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked and then deep fried turkey

I have recently purchased a smoker (Bradley 6 rack) - have deep fried many turkeys but am new to smoking! I am planning to smoke the turkey for 2 hours (not sure what temperature) and then deep fry. However, I am not sure how long to deep fry - normally for a 12 pound bird I would fry for about 45 minutes at 350 (I use canola oil).

I recently watched a video where the turkey was smoked for 2 hours and deep fried for 10 minutes - doesn't seem right.

I am planning on doing this on December 15th - any help or suggestions would be most helpful!

Thank you! Merry Christmas to all and to your loved ones who read this post!

Regards,

SABERGUY

Hard to say, we never go by a clock, but a temp. I'd say just lift her up periodically and spot check the breasts and call it good when the lowest breast temp is 160F.

Comment

Thank you - I will do just that

Comment

SABERGUY I haven’t done a turkey like this yet. But have done a few chickens.
        I have either spatchcocked or quartered them. Smoke @225-250* until the breasts are about 145* than deep fry the pieces until the skin gets nice and crispy.
        But you must watch closely cause the skin can go from really nice to almost pork rinds very fast.

Here’ a thought. Spatchcock the turkey. Smoke it. Pull it off the smoker. Put it back into its original configuration. Tie it up to hold it that way. Than deep fry it.
        You might want to smoke the bird to a little higher temp cause when I do my chickens after deep frying I hit them with bbq sauce and get them back into the smoker to get the sauce to become happy with the chicken. Which takes about another 15-20 min.

Looking forward to seeing how your cook plays out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here