Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey--Rotisserie vs Spatchcocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey--Rotisserie vs Spatchcocking

I did two different brands of bird (both about 14 pounds) this Thanksgiving (Butterball and Kroger--both pre-brined, alas), on two different days, and on two different cookers (22" Weber/SnS and an XL BGE). Both were spatchcocked and both were rubbed with MH's wet Simon and Garfunkel rub, then cooked to 160°F in the breast. While both were better than the dry, over-cooked birds of my childhood, neither was as good as my rotisserie chickens/turkeys, which I have been doing for years. This seals the deal for me. From now on, all whole birds get cooked on the rotisserie--a few square inches of pale crotch skin is a small price to pay for what I believe (YMMV) produces a better, moister bird.

Never spun a turkey but I do enjoy a good rotisserie grllied chicken, hard to beat that crunchy skin and moist meat !!

Comment

Given the choice, a rotisserie is the only way I will do whole birds.

Comment

Itching for a Joetisserie. MCS!

Comment

I like to split the bird no matter what. I cut them in half and cook them that way. They fit on the smoker much easier and they cook more uniformly, than if you have them whole or even spatchcocked. I have never cooked one on a rotisserie, so perhaps, that is the best method, and I cannot speak to that.

For me, I cut out the spine and cut in-between the breasts to get two halves of the bird. Then I Dry brine, season and throw it on the smoker.

Comment

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Glad you found your way!

Comment

No vertical roast fans? I love doing vertical roast (no can, a rack, with airflow).

I did spatchcock this time, and was happy with the results, for the most part, and hopefully, Annual Gift Man will find a rotisserie for my grill this Annual Gift Period.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Good point. I have also done the vertical roast w/ rack for chickens and have gotten excellent results. I haven't done that for a while, mainly because I did that "lo n slo" and I do rotisserie at 350--400°F for the quickness. No reason not to try vertical at a higher temp, I guess.

You may have a convert here - no more spinal surgery! Plus, this gives me an excuse to buy a rotisserie for my Weber kettle.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Do it man ! You will not regret it one bit.

Ive really wanted to try doing a rotisserie Turkey! When you do yours do you still cook indirect and at the same temperature that you would normally use just cooking on the grate? or are there some adjustments to make?

Comment

JEString I do roto on a Weber Genesis gasser that has three burners that run lengthwise. I turn off the middle one (immediately below the bird) off and leave the back and front ones on a pretty low setting so that my built-in hood thermometer reads about 375°F--400°F. I have no idea what the actual temp is, but I've "calibrated" my cooks to this set-up for many years. A typical chicken cooks in about an hour, a 14-15 pound turkey maybe 2--2/12 hours. Don't forget to check with a good probe thermometer--I shoot for 165-ish°F.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here