Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I will do different next time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I will do different next time.

Now that the leftovers are in the fridge, it is time to think about what I will do next time to improve. Followed Meathead’s turkey recipe to the letter. Everyone agreed it was a fantastic turkey, and the moistest we have ever had. I thought the skin could have been much better even though it was cooked on the Yoder at 325.

Now that I think about, this was an entirely pasture raised turkey, and just did not have a lot of fat anywhere. Next time I cook a pasture raised bird, I am going to pay much more attention to prepping the skin with oil and fats.

What will you change next year?
    Last edited by Donw; November 23, 2017, 07:02 PM.

I will spatchcock every single turkey I smoke from this day forward. I brought the PBC and turkey hanger, but no hooks, to the in-laws to cook the turkey. I found out too late that the turkey they bought wasn't completely thawed on the inside. It turned out fine, but not great, due to some dryness as a result of having to overcook to get it all done. Flavor was excellent and everyone loved it, but it was 2 hooks short of being amazing.

Comment

I will cook on the GMG next time. The Turkey was great, the gravy was amazing. But it was in an oven😟

Comment

Donw I love the idea. I generally followed Meathead's recipe (my father in particular got a kick out of the Simon and Garfunkel rub) with a young turkey using my WSM and pecan wood. I had a tough time maintaining the temperature of the smoker at 325 given the cold weather in NY today so I compensated by finishing the bird at closer to 375 to brown up the skin. Although it was firm, the skin could have used more crisp to it. However, the bird was moist and had great flavor.

Next year, I'll probably make some tweaks to the rub -- I would probably add more rosemary and bayleaf and a little less basil and oregano. I hope to do a better job maintaining temperature at 325. Otherwise, I'll finish the bird at a hotter temperature. I also didn't do the greatest job applying baste under the skin -- probably need more practice. Anyway, this is what mine looked like. Cheers.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	414638 .

Comment

That is a great looking bird. I know it tasted great too!

Comment

• Bumby
            Bumby commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

I did three pulled chuck roasts. Not sure what will be on tap for next year.

Comment

My #1 absolute tip for crispy skin is make sure it's as dry as humanly possible when it goes in. I dry brined, injected with butter/oil, rubbed with oil soaked herbs, then patted everything dry with a paper towel to make sure there was no excess moisture on the skin. Even though I had trouble keeping it up at 325 the skin was absolutely perfect still. It's something I've had trouble with in previous years and this made all the difference in the world.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Dry it is! Oil, maybe even a bit of baking powder mixed with the salt for the dry brine. Uncovered in the fridge!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here