Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brining time question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining time question

Happy Thanksgiving, Pitmasters! Smoking an 8lb turkey breast. I don't have an injector so using a Kenji wet brine/herbed butter rub recipe. He calls for brining up to 12 hours. It will be 15 hours between starting the brine and cooking. Ok to leave it in the brine for an additional three hours or best to remove from brine and keep breast in the refrigerator?

Simple water, sugar, salt brine (breast was not pre salted/injected). Smoking on Weber 26" with KBB, drip/gravy pan, and apple wood.

Everything I've read is NOT to let it brine too long or it gets mushy.

Comment

I've brined up to three days without an issue, other than it starts taking on a "cured" flavor. A few hours won't matter.

Comment

If yoU have the time take it out and rest it in the fridge to dry out some before you put it on the que. I prefer a brined turkey and always give it at least 8hours to drip dry so if you have a couple of hours to spare I would do that or you end up with a seriously moist chamber.

i have found that my brined birds cook faster as well. Maybe a myth? IMHO it sure seems that way to me and I cook a lot of birds. So delicious. I'm getting envious of your bird...

Comment

I just went about 14 hours for my whole bird. I don’t believe it to be a problem based on past experience

Comment

I have a 5 lb chuck roast in a mirepoix in the fridge. how long can I keep it before I cook it?

Comment

Originally posted by daveyd View Post
              I have a 5 lb chuck roast in a mirepoix in the fridge. how long can I keep it before I cook it?
              I'd suggest only as long as the use-by date on the package was. Maybe an extra day.

Comment

will the meat get mushy if it sits more than 2 days?

Comment

damned winter weather! pellets are mushy and won't burn. Delayed until I get the firebox cleaned out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here