Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many briquettes for Turkey cook in 22.5 WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many briquettes for Turkey cook in 22.5 WSM?

Hi Gang! It's been a couple years since I've smoked a turkey. I can't remember how many unlit Kingsford Original Blue briquettes to put in the ring of my 22.5 WSM and how many lit briquettes to put over the unlit to achieve a temp of 325. Can you guys help me with a guideline? Spatchcocked turkey is slightly over 12 lbs. Thanks.
    Last edited by Smokin'Rick; November 22, 2017, 06:30 PM.

Hey Rick,

Man a number is going to be hard to come up with. What's the weather?

No matter.

Get your fire started and get the cooker running at the temp you want using the vents. 325° is a high temp so it's going to take a for sure. Monitor the temp and add unlit bricks as you need.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 22, 2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Throw a million of them in there and adjust your vents to achieve the temperature that you want. I have the 18" model and I've always erred on the side of too many. Overloading it is easily corrected by simple vent management. If you underload it you'll initially get it up to temperature but once it starts falling off it's a pain in the back side to get it back up there and stabilize it for any period of time. I'd fill it full, adjust the temperature through vent control and when all is said and done, what's the difference if you waste a hand full of coals? Better that than a bird that needs constant fire feeding or comes out over or under cooked because of constant temperature fluctuations.

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging input fellas! You're both correct. It's been so long that I've lost my sense of this. I just have to get my confidence back. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Comment

I was gonna say a $#¡+Ton, but wiser ones trod here before me, an' already covered that ground...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here