Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Breast - skin on or off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Breast - skin on or off?

i am smoking a turkey breast for the first time and I usually remove the skin on chicken and it comes out great. Was thinking about removing the skin and applying a dry rub to the breast. I know most people like the crispy skin but my wife and I prefer the skin off. Makes us feel like we are eating a little healthier, so we can eat bbq more often and wash it down with a couple beverages. 😬. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Nothing wrong with removing the skin if that's the way you like it. Might want to consider basting, though. Melted butter alone, or mixed with some olive oil, works nicely! Not sure even that is necessary, but it's comforting.

Comment

I’d say skin on, but if you like it better without, you do you.

I might want to butterball that, as you don’t have the skin covering the breast, maybe a bit of extra moisture will help.

Comment

I would leave it on then take it off before you eat. I think the breast will stay moister (is that a word) that way. But remember what MH says. No rules... cook it you best prefer it. If it helps the skin fat is a lot of Monounsaturated fat in the form of Oleic acid. Still 9calories a gram though. Pretty fattening.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I think morther moisterer is what ya' were shootin' fer, Holmes

Cook with it on, take off to eat is our way.

Comment

skin on... or... skin off and make turkey skin craklins for an appetizer!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on cracklins!!!

If you & yours like it skin off, go for it. If you are presenting the bird for a crowd to see, ya gotta leave it on! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Comment

I'd just cook it on, then remove it on the pieces you want.. usually pretty easy to do

Comment

Thanks folks! I’ll go with leaving it on and they can remove it at their own discretion. Cheers and happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Happy thanksgiving brother

Comment

Put the rub under the skin so you can taste its wonderful flavor. Rub the skin too if you like, but always rub the bird under the skin, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here