Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Lumpy Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Lumpy Gravy

For years now, I've made what I call "Lumpy Gravy", which is to say gravy with chunks of "stuff" in it. This year, I am going to combine my lumpy gravy with @Meathead' s recommendation for doing turkey and gravy as shown in the big article that is front and center on the free site. Here is what I have been doing for a long time: I use the wing tips, neck, giblets sans liver and some extra (usually) chicken scraps--wings tips, etc. I brown these well in a skillet, then dump them into a pot of water or chicken stock and let 'em simmer for hours. I remove (strain) the turkey and chicken pieces and shred the meat off the poultry pieces and add them into the strained stock, which is now heating again on a low simmer. Then, I caramelize chopped onions in a skillet, deglaze with a little RED wine and a bit of balsamico, and add them to the stock (this year, I will also add some sauteed, well-browned mushrooms, cooked along with onions). In years past, I have served this as-is for the gravy, but this year, I will reduce this to a bit short of demi-glace and then add the drippings/liquid from the turkey cook to it. I'm thinking it'll be a dynamite jus/gravy.

BTW, I was so pleased to see that Meathead called his gravy "jus" instead "au jus". It grates against my nerves when folks call thin gravy or meat drippings/juices "au jus". It's the school marm in me. Sorry.

So assuming you mastered your techniques for gravy I do t see why it's lumpy. Honestly I only read your post once and was confused but it sounded like you know what you were doing.

also ssems to me you do do too much work once you made stock that meat and veggie has nothing to offe. Throw it always, it gave upmthe ghost already. Theoretically the flavor is in you stock and the meat is useless.

ingenerally make my stock a couple day in advance so that's done. Then take some dripping and add your flour. Thin with hot stock in thirds, brinup to boil each time before adding the next third.

That's is basic gravy. Additives like mushrooms are ok but retain the flavor as you do in the same pot.

i still don't understand the lumpy.

sounds like you are good.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      "Chunky" . I like it that way too.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey; Exactly, saute the onions, etc in the same pan, then deglaze, then dump into the stock and reduce. As for the shrooms, Costco had chanterelles!

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF Yeah, "chunky" is probably a better description. It reduces the confusion regarding lumps of unincorporated flour.

"Au jus" as a noun, lol...guilty! I'll pay better attention to that going forward. I'm that way with your & you're. Makes my skin curl to see "your" for everything.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Huskee your just being silly 😜 I've always felt that text and chat like this the "your, too, and anything with an apostrophe" gets a pass. I know what you mean though mine is Irregardless, nevertheless and people saying "well at least." Eeerrrrr..... generally it was "at most."

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      And then there's "I could care less..." LOL again

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      "What ever!"

For Pete sakes, I could care less, irregardless, unthaw, expresso, the list goes on & on.... Lol!

Sorry Willy, we've digressed. I love lumpy gravy!!

Comment

Willy, aren’t you abit worried about copyright infringement. Frank Zappa was first with Lumpy Gravy & no Mother’s.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah but weasels ripped his flesh......

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        What the hey; I'm a mudshark.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here