Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock Turkey Timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcock Turkey Timing?

Hello! I'm new to the Pit. I am going to be doing a 10-12 lb Turkey on my Weber 22 Kettle for Thanksgiving. I will be spatchcocking it, setting it on top of the gravy pan instead of putting the pan under the grate and am going to use the kettle so I can get a temp of 325. I'm in Southern Minnesota and the current forecast is for 38 degrees with winds 5-10 out of the NW. Any idea on how long it might take for it to cook?

Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for the support. Good to have another Minnesotan in The Pit. I am up in Minnetonka.

Anyway, don't worry about the cold. 38 F is nothing to worry about. Shoot for about 325 F and don't freak out if it climbs a little north of that. I averaged about 350 F today in my KBQ and everything turned out great. You are probably looking at about 2-3 hours. Always allow yourself enough time to finish. Today, my turkeys were on for a little less than two hours, my smoker has a convection action that speeds up cooking, so your birds might take a little longer.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
    • Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]
    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

This is a great place to hang out and we hope you will join us on a regular basis. Jump in on the fun!

-Spinaker

Comment

• AOllenburg
      AOllenburg commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, will do. I bought a lasagna pan to use for the gravy. Thank you!

• AOllenburg
      AOllenburg commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - My wife came home with 14lb & 17lb turkeys due to the butcher shop running out of 10-12lb. We have decided to put the 17lb on the Weber Kettle. Am I correct in thinking the timing for the cook will increase to 3-3.5 hrours?

• AOllenburg
      AOllenburg commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm also wondering is it possible to get my WSM 22.5 to 325 in 40 degree weather? Thinking I may need to switch to the WSM just so the turkey fits.

Welcome AOllenburg

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Spinaker knows his bird -- 2-3 hours seems about right. The kettle is a great cooker -- if you have a Slow-n-Sear it's an incredible cooker! Have fun and eat good food!

Comment

• AOllenburg
          AOllenburg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! Slow-n-Sear is on my Christmas list.

End of story, Spinaker pretty much covered it. Beginning of another story, howdy, welcome aboard. I’m a little east of ya from the "land of 11,000 lakes". Cold, what cold. Eat good & have fun!

Hey, ya know, your title has some kind of ring to it, "Spatchcock Turkey Timing". Sorta flows off the lips. Maybe one could even say that 10 times really fast and....... oh well.
        Last edited by FireMan; November 20, 2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! May I ask why your putting the bird directly on top of your gravy pan? I would think this will have an effect on your bird. Are you using @Meatheads gravy recipe? This has vegetables and such in it and some liquid. This will boil / simmer and with your bird resting on top will it not at least make your bird a bit soggy? Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

• AOllenburg
            AOllenburg commented
            Editing a comment
            I am worried about the ash from the charcoal falling/floating into the liquid when it is under the grate. I do have some bricks I could stack to maybe prevent that? Yes, I am using chicken stock, water, onions, celery & carrots and some Simon & Garfunkel in the gravy pan. .

👆👆👆What hey said. 👆👆👆

Hey, do you know where Minneapolis is? I'm no where near that. Huntington Beach welcomes you and your cold birds. Spinaker did you right and HawkerXP too.

Comment

Glad to see that you are moving the pan to under the grate. Putting the bird on top of a pan will screw with flow of hot air and smoke around the bottom side of the turkey, and probably would really make for uneven cooking. There is an article somewhere here that goes into how you need a minimum of several inches between your turkey and any sort of drip pan, otherwise the bottom side of the turkey won’t be exposed to 325F heat - it will be sitting at 200F or something much lower than you expect.

I’ve cooked a lot of indirect on the Weber Kettle this past year without a SnS and made gravy using a drip pan under the grate, and charcoal ash in the drip pan has never been an issue for me. Just bank your coals to one side and the disposable lasagna pan you got to the other side and you should be good. I usually use the large Weber drip pans myself, or the half steam tray pans I buy from Sam’s Club in bundles of 36.

Comment

Here’s the section you need to read:

Our grilled and smoked turkey recipe and tutorial make your ordinary holiday meal extraordinary! Here's everything you need to know about making the ultimate holiday bird. We also bust some myths, discuss side dishes, and so much more!

go down to the section about water pans and drip pans.

Comment

Good old Rochester. Our family spent many happy years there. Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_51829.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	414847 Thank you to all of you! I kept searching in other threads & pulled ideas from them, too. Our turkey turned out great! I used my WSM 22.5 on a beautiful 45 degree day with little wind, mixed in some Professional Kingsford with the regular blue bag Kingsford, set up Soo's Donut & had no issues holding the temps to 320-350. The 18lb turkey took just over 3 hours.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks great!

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nailed it!

Welcome to The Pit. I'm happy your turkey turned out great.

Comment

Welcome AOllenburg from a fellow Southern Minnesotan. That is a wonderful looking turkey. I hope you enjoy The Pit. Be sure to get a DipNGriddle pan with your SlowNSear for the Weber Kettle.

Comment

Your turkey is gorgeous! Just found out I'll be smoking a turkey for Xmas and wondering if a dry salt brine will work? I'm gonna try to spatchcock it but not sure it will fit.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I dry-brined this year for a few days while it defrosted (most of the way). Awesome result for the skin. Spatchcock is going to depend on turkey size and cooker capacity.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here