Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney-Style Turkey (Leg) Cure/Brine for Whole Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney-Style Turkey (Leg) Cure/Brine for Whole Turkey

Meathead (...& associates), can you provide 'scale up' guidance to go from the Disney-style turkey leg cure/brine, to an wire bird? The published recipe for "2 large turkey drumsticks" (2-3 lbs) needs to accommodate a 21 lb turkey. My biggest concern is the Prague Powder.

whole bird...

Comment

The Prague powder should be your main concern. I am glad to hear you say that. This is a tough one, because the thickness of the meat is important. One a whole bird, this will be tough to figure out. One of the other mods might be able to help you. I know @Dr.Blonder or @Meathed will be able to help you further.

My guess is that they will have you break it down, and cure each part individually. The weight is not really a concern, because the calculator has a scale for that. I will pass this on to the powers that be. I am curious to hear what they have to say.

Comment

After talking with Jerod, Meathead said, to another a reader on the free side of the site, not to do it. I suspect there are too many variables for it to be safe.

Comment

Got it. Ok, well I'll just go with a typ brine. Thanks.
          (...those Disney legs sure are good though)

Comment

I'm making the Disney turkey leg recipe for the first time and I'm using pink curing salt which I think is synonymous with Prague powder. My issue with the turkey legs is that 1 cup of liquid sure isn't enough to submerge the legs. Is that a typo, or what is the method needed to make sure the entire turkey leg benefits from the brine?

Comment

bocaboy I don’t remeber where I found this, but they turn out amazing! I write down most of my recipes I try and like, so have this in my book.

For our turkey legs, I used a gallon zipper bag. Can also use a container.

2 cups buttermilk
              2 cups water
              1/2 cup salt
              1/4 demara sugar, or brown sugar.
              Let everything in the brine dissolve.

10 hour brine time, then smoked a 250*, took just over three hours to get to temp, 175*.

Ive used this method on a turkey breast as well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here