Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Cambro Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Cambro Question

I am going to smoke my first Thanksgiving turkey this year following the Meathead guide (http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ed_turkey.html).

I will be taking his recommendation to start a little early and cambro it until ready to serve. However, I have a question on the cambro process.

Should I fully wrap the bird in foil? Or should I just use a hot towel on the bottom, pan, turkey, then possibly more hot towels on top?

It wasn't real clear in the article on how to successfully cambro a turkey for an hour or so. I just don’t want to screw it up.

Appreciate any guidance here.

I've never done it, but I would be concerned with how the skin turns out - it might become soft and or chewy - not sure though...

Comment

• Daddio on the Patio
      Daddio on the Patio commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that’s what I’m trying to avoid and why I asked the question. Not too worried about the meat, just trying to keep the skin in some sort of good condition.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't do it.

I don't see any way to cambro a turkey for an hour without losing the crisp skin. Wrapped or unwrapped, the interior of the box that holds the heat is going to get pretty humid. Not to say it won't be good. Crisp skin is properly cooked skin. The texture will be different, but I would expect it to taste just fine.

Comment

You ain't going to Cambro a turkey without losing your crispy skin..... unless you can get it underneath some heat right before you serve.

I've Cambro'd quite a few and no one was really worried about the skin because the meat was so moist.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The cambro is for a different reason - continuing to cook meat with a lot of collagen. Turkey doesn't need it nor want it. Tent it for a bit in foil and cut away!

Thanks for your input everyone! Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

Comment

As everybody above said the Cambro will cost you the crispy skin. For me personally that's a deal breaker so I cook to serve immediately. The timing on turkey isn't that variable and it isn't very long.. so if I'm off by 15 or 20 minutes nobody is going to complain. Just make sure you have lots of drinks and some snacks and everybody will totally forget about the wait as soon as they taste it.

If you're going to do it early, try to get it as close as you can.. the longer it sits, the softer it'll get.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here