Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Tips

I'm considering smoking my first Turkey this year for Thanksgiving. I normally enjoy how simple it is just throwing it in the oven, but thought maybe it's time to throw it on the stick burner to take it to the next level.

I've read the instructions here and from what I've gathered probably the most important thing is to cook at a higher temperature than normal to get a crispy skin.

I wanted to check and see if any of you had some other "tips" to help me ensure I do not mess up the bird? Also, if you can give me a feel for how long it might take that would be great as well. I'll buy the smallest small turkey I can buy as there is only 3 of us, so probably about 12lbs if my memory serves me correctly. I was thinking about targeting 275-300 on my smoker. And if it's not asking too much, if there are any Thanksgiving sides that would also go great on the smoker please let me know.

Thank you!
    Daniel

If you can get the temp up to at least 325* you will have a better chance of getting a crisp skin. I shoot for 350* - 400* on my kettle and the turkey turns out nice and juicy with a crisp skin.. If you are not worried about presentation, spatchcocking will get your turkey done a lot quicker, but I think a high temp is more important on a shorter cook.

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
      6th Borough BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay I’m going to have to try and get it hotter...... never tried to get my smoker that hot (Lang) so not sure if it’s possible

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s possible

I agree with RonB on the temp. 325 to 350 will work best. There is a TON of info in this article if you haven’t read it:

Our grilled and smoked turkey recipe and tutorial make your ordinary holiday meal extraordinary! Here's everything you need to know about making the ultimate holiday bird. We also bust some myths, discuss side dishes, and so much more!

I am going on my third year of smoking a turkey and my family has been converted. One thing I can’t remember is if I used water in the pan on my WSM.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't remember ever using a water pan with poultry. A moist cooking chamber may not produce crisp skin, but I'm not sure as I have never done it.

• Psinderson
      Psinderson commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you’re right, I will skip the pan.

Here's my tried and true version, based on over 10 years cooking them. Of course, it's always evolving, and you would have to adapt it to your own cooker (eg forget the 400F starting temp and instead go directly to 325F). This is for those who want their turkey stuffed. Otherwise Meathead's recipe on the site, or Mad Max's on nakedwhiz.com are great (better?) alternatives. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIPIWtH6...z_iRGPCCLGcIps

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
      6th Borough BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That was an amazing amount of detail! Thank you for sharing.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I put it together a few years ago for a good buddy of mine who also has a BGE. Like I said, it keeps evolving. We'll see what happens this year - maybe the KBQ, but that means I don't get to do some of the drudge work on the sides.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here