Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Turkey Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many birds: 1 x 17#

Frozen, fresh:Fresh!

Spatchcock or not: Spatchcock!

Brine wet/dry time & ingredients: Dry Brine and Rub this evening (wednesday) - Salt, Oil, Fresh Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

Wood type: Apple

Temperature range: ~325 ish

KBQ step up - pan dry/h2o otherwise: little H20 and has some carrots and onions in there

Beer, hard liquor or both!: Both + Wine

Any other relevant info. that will make guest envy our turkeys: Also smoking a ham :-)

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to The Pit!!!!

17.5 lbs. Frozen (I thought I was getting fresh! Minor panic to get it thawed by today)

Spatchcocked

Dry brining for 30 hours

Simon & Garfunkel Rub

26" Weber with SnS

Kingsford Blue Bag

Candy bar size of apple for smoke

Trying to hold 235*

No reservoir water

Gravy made off-line using new Cook's Illustrated recipe

Mostly wine!

Comment

• OneEyedJack
      OneEyedJack commented
      Editing a comment
      I meant 335* Experienced a problem with meat probe placement. Original said done in about 1.5 hours. Probed with Thermo Pen and found 80* spot in breast. Used Smoke meat probe to find the same 80* area by inserting slowly and watching the displayed temp. Cook took the expected 2.5-3 hours and it turned out great! Rave reviews from the guests many of whom have never had BBQ turkey before.

Hello again boys and grills, Been awhile since I've posted here. Life right?! so here's my contribution to the discussion:

How many birds: 1

Frozen, fresh: Block of Ice

Spatchcock or not: yep.

Brine wet/dry time & ingredients: dry brine, pink Himalayan salt Olive oil when done, Time: 24 hrs +

Wood type: Kingsford tournament charcoal with apple chunks

Temperature range: as hot as my DRG offset will get @ 32 degrees Ambient outside temp.

KBQ step up - pan dry/h2o otherwise: No KBG No water pan

Beer, hard liquor or both!: George Dickel #12 for the cook!

Any other relevant info. that will make guest envy our turkeys: This will be the first time I've done a big bird on this rig but have had great success with everything else I've put on it. From a 10 lb rib roast, to lamb to Pork belly and butt, to the every popular packer brisket. I'm planning on 3.5 to 4 hours of cook time but will see what Ma Nature gives me. will post pictures during the process to chronicle the the cook. Enjoy all and happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

• Da' Moose
      Da' Moose commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for not posting any pictures. Got busy with other things and forgot to snap pictures until after the bird was eaten! LSS (long story short) It turned out to be the best bird I've ever done. Perfectly smoked, crisp skin, and the flavor was a hit with the fam. gonna spatchcock is now my technique of choice.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here