Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Turkey Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ Turkey Guide

Thought we'd would get this started with Thanksgiving just around the corner. I don't want to leave anyone out, so if you have something other than a KBQ feel free to contribute too!

How many birds:

Frozen, fresh:

Spatchcock or not:

Brine wet/dry time & ingredients:

Wood type:

Temperature range:

KBQ step up - pan dry/h2o otherwise:

Beer, hard liquor or both!:

Any other relevant info. that will make guest envy our turkeys:

1 bird, frozen, spatchcocked, not sure yet, pecan, PBC so whatever I can get with one rod removed, no pan, beer, beer and more beer.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      That should be beer, 1 bird frozen, beer, spatchcocked, beer, oh to hell with it, beer.......

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhh! How could I make that big of an error in my Thanksgiving plan? Thank you for straightening me out ComfortablyNumb!

• Mastro
      Mastro commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely done!

Not sure yet. But I will be sure to post the results here! Great thread idea!

Comment

2 birds frozen, both dry brined, 1 smoked, 1 spatchcocked and roasted for traditional turkey and gravy. Smoked bird will be on rec tec @ 180 for 12-14 hours w/ amazentube. Using Louisiana Brand cherry wood pellets. Plenty of beer and wine.

Comment

• Fayettejim
        Fayettejim commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm smoking my first turkey (12-14 lbs) on my new RecTec so I'm appreciating your post. Your advice, please: 1) what do you use to dry brine 2) any disadvantage to putting a pan of water with the bird? Thanks in advance for the help and Happy Thanksgiving.

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        I never use a water pan on my rec tec. To dry brine you just use kosher salt. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I have a 14-16 lb bird coming "hard cooled". Going to be a dry brine with herbs, and stuffed with pork/bread/herb stuffing. Probably oil under the skin or butter on the outside. I'm waiting to see what the weather shapes up to be before committing to a cooker. The KBQ is ready to go, but the wife is a bit skeptical about using it for the big meal with guests. I keep reminding her it will keep me out of the kitchen, and she keeps reminding me that she might have some other tasks for me. Next alternative is the BGE, which will need a cleaning burnout over the weekend. And finally, we have two indoor kitchens. So, we'll see.

Here's the basic idea: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIPIWtH6...z_iRGPCCLGcIps

Comment

• Mastro
        Mastro commented
        Editing a comment
        Why septical on th KBQ? Asking because trying to determine to go KBQ, Egg or oven.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        She just doesn't want to take the risk of doing something that might be very different when we're entertaining. It's not a technical reason.

1 whole turkey, frozen, thawed, dry brined, S&G rub, aromatics in the cavity, oiled skin, oven roasted on rack in roaster pan (500F for 30 min, finish at 325F to 160F internal breast). Drippings and giblets for thin gravy.

1 fresh whole breast, skin on, for the PBC, "airline" cut with the drumette attached, dry brined, S&G rub. 325F target cooker temp to 160F internal. Wood species TBD, thinking fruit or nut wood of some sort (Apple? Cherry? Pecan?)

Will pull out the Willet's or Old Weller bourbon; or Woodford Reserve in a pinch. Gon' be a good day...

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I do like apple with poultry.

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF you talked me into it!

I will be cooking 2 birds in the 15-20 lb range, one on Thanksgiving Day in the PBC and the other on the following Saturday in the Old Country Over/Under. This will be my first attempt at turkey in the PBC, and I have a small stack of apple wood somebody gave me ready to go for Saturday. Will likely mix that apple with cherry. Because cherry. Will spatchcock both of these and pretty much follow Meathead's recipe using S&G. That was a huge success last year. I'm hauling the PBC 150 miles to the in-laws for the Thanksgiving Day cook. My Saturday afternoon will be filled with college football, frosty beverages and burning sticks in the OC's firebox.

Comment

I will be doing 3 birds: 24lb and 22lb birds for Thanksgiving and a 15lb bird either the Friday or Saturday following like Steve R.. Gonna wet brine for 36 hours, inject with butter, rub with black pepper and a little paprika, and smoke whole the 1st 2 birds. The 1 for the weekend will be a cajun bird all the way, injected and rubbed with Malcolm Reed's cajun recipe and smoked whole as well.

Comment

Has anyone actually done a turkey breast in the KBQ? I'm concerned about getting the temp up to 325 for crispy skin.

I have the PBC on standby if the KBQ isn't the right tool for the job...

Comment

Originally posted by Livermoron View Post
          Has anyone actually done a turkey breast in the KBQ? I'm concerned about getting the temp up to 325 for crispy skin.

I have the PBC on standby if the KBQ isn't the right tool for the job...
          I have. I was up well over 325 F. Make sure you have a solid, thick coal bed and you should have no problem getting close to 400 F.

Comment

• Livermoron
            Livermoron commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

We'll be taking the trailer to the coast for the weekend, so I'm thinking I'll prepare some Sous Vide turkey in advance and then just reheat on Thanksgiving day. I've been studying up on it...

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Has anyone here done this? Suggestions?

Comment

Plan is a 12-14 lb bird, dry brined and SG rub.

Comment

I'm thinking one turkey breast (might do two, in case a neighbor has a Thanksgiving dinner accident), butterballed...

Comment

19 lb. first time in PBC, whole, untrussed. Have always done whole or spatchcocked in Performer with SNS (or the Smokenator in the old days). I used to wet brine but now only dry brine. I use SG rub on oiled skin and under the skin with salted butter. I always agonize over thermometer placement and finished temp for breast and thighs hence why spatchcocking when I can. This year since I am using PBC and whole bird I will again agonize over internal temp and doneness I guess

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't bother agonizing, the PBC will cook that bird perfectly. With the dark meat closest to the heat, it will be perfect ... just don't forget to take full credit for being an awesome chef.

How many birds: 1 twelve pound Butterball for the two of us (😒)

Frozen, fresh: frozen

Spatchcock or not: not

Brine wet/dry time & ingredients: none

Wood type: none ... unless you count the kitchen cabinets: knotty alder

Temperature range: 350 +- whatever the electric oven thinks is appropriate

KBQ step up - pan dry/h2o otherwise: no KBQ or anything else outside ... just a large plastic oven bag indoors

Beer, hard liquor or both!: beer, wine, and if that's not enough, brandy later (also have scotch, Irish whiskey, grappa, gin, aquavit, etc., in reserve if needed)

Any other relevant info. that will make guest envy our turkeys: wife wants a "normal" Thanksgiving dinner this year ... so I'm hoping that the wine, beer, and brandy will see me through dry white meat, under-done dark meat, and rubbery skin (sigh). No envy necessary ...
                Last edited by MBMorgan; November 11, 2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• jecucolo
                  jecucolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bummer! I just can’t go back to bad turkeys! I’d have to cook one in the PBC and let her do the oven one.

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jecucolo - To be honest, neither of us is a big fan of turkey (don't quite know why she wants to cook one this year). Normally we have chicken, Cornish hen, prime rib, or duck (all smoked) for Thanksgiving ...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here