Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice from all 18" WSM users.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice from all 18" WSM users.

Can all the 18" WSM users out there give me a crash course on the best way to smoke a 10lb spatchcock turkey. Going to give it a try this year. Just the wife and I.

1. Best wood to use.
    2. WSM temperature.
    3. Water pan yes or no.
    4. Dry or wet brine.
    5. How long will it take.
    6. Anything else I might need to know.

All information is appreciated. Thank you!

Here's some really good info to get ya' started, from th' Nice Folks at Weber...

I'm sure others will chime in with their personal experiences...

1. Wood is pretty much based on yer desired flavour profile...I often use apple, or peach wood, when makin' a fairly Traditional herb seasoned bird...
    I often use hickory/and/or/mesquite, when I make my own fave, Cajun seasoned turkey.
    2. I typically try fer a median average of 300, but please bear in mind I'm doin' whole birds, not spatchcocked. I have yet to try that...
    (Typically, this time of year, I may well cook 100 turkeys...orders already near 100 right now. Split birds take up valuable real estate, in my case...I need to try one, when it ain't Thanksgivin' time)

I'll likely add more, later...
    By then, th' Smart Folks will have arrived to help ya'!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 9, 2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Geese 100 birds Bonzey? Nice score !!!

airforcekixbutt , I've done my turkeys in my kettle with the SnS, not my WSM, but I think I can help. I'd wrap the water pan in foil and leave it dr, cook in the 325-350 range for crispy skin. IF you use wood, I think apple or maybe alder. I've done 12#ers in about 90 minutes. You can wet or dry brine, but I have only dry brined.

Hope that helps.

Comment

No pan. Rotisserie. I would use apple wood. I would aim for a temp of 300+ if possible. You might try to put in some mesquite as it burns hot. I would use a ton of wood so that it makes it burn hotter. WSM going to be hard to get it hot.

Comment

For me, basically what richinlbrg says.
        -Dry water pan
        -shoot for 325
        - Dry brine
        - apple wood

This will be my third year doing turkey on my WSM 18”. I do the whole bird though. Once I did it this way, I was forever given the Thanksgiving turkey duties (darn!).

Comment

• MrPat
          MrPat commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. This is what I do.

1. Applewood is good, or apple/oak for little more heat
        2. Try to stay above 300* for crisp skin
        3. Water in the pan, adds moisture and is a heat sink
        4. Dry or wet brine - choice. If dry give it at least a day or longer in the frig, get the salt up under the skin. Also need to season well.
        5. Count on 90 mins to 2 hours depending on the heat
        6. Just be patient, let the smoke work it’s magic !!

Comment

I would say for turkey the key is get a smaller bird. These jumbo 20+ pound turkeys take too long to cook and the breast usually dry up or you have to inject the crap out of it. Better to do two 13lb than one 26 lb.

Comment

• Psinderson
            Psinderson commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm. I am a little concerned. My MIL orderd the turkey and I bet she got a larger than usual one. Hopefully I don’t have an issue!

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            You can still make big birds taste good just try to keep it hot and pull the bird at 158 on the breast. Big birds have more carry over cooking.

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            For Xmas eve I did a 12 lb on rotisserie....now that is a challenge. After about 2 hours the legs start flopping around. Learned to twine the whole thing next time. Tasted excellent though. I injected it with bacon fat that was mixed with seasoning and apple vinegar.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here