Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook Journal - My First Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook Journal - My First Turkey

I've been smoking meat for a couple years now, and I recently decided to try my first whole turkey. This is actually a "practice" turkey, in preparation for Thanksgiving, at which time I plan to smoke one and serve it to family and friends.

I've actually already started the process, and made notes along the way. What follows is my day 1 activities. I'll make subsequent posts as I proceed:

First Turkey - Day 1 (Tuesday, October 31st, 11:00AM)

I bought a 12-lb frozen turkey from Whole Foods. It was one of those minimally processed natural birds, with no injected salt (or anything else), described on Whole Foods' web site as follows:
    • No antibiotics — ever
    • No animal byproducts in feed
    • No supplemental growth hormones
    • Appropriate litter provided for comfort and to satisfy natural foraging instincts

I brought it home and placed it in the refrigerator to thaw. As I found from reading on the internet, the expected thaw time for a frozen turkey is about 24 hours for every 5 lbs of bird weight. So I expect thawing of my 12-lb'er to take about 2.5 days.
    Last edited by TBoneJack; November 3, 2017, 12:49 PM.

First Turkey - Day 4 (Friday, November 3rd, 10:00AM)

I removed the turkey from the refrigerator, unwrapped it, unpacked the "parts" (neck, giblets, etc.), rinsed the bird, and spatchcocked it.

This was the first time I had ever spatchcocked any bird, chicken or otherwise, and it was more difficult than it looked on the Youtube video I watched.

First of all, the turkey wasn't completely thawed, and I think it's because my refigerator is too cold inside, which I've suspected for a while now. So I adjusted the thermostat.

The bird was thawed enough to be spatchcocked and salted (dry brined), so I proceeded. I used poultry sheers to begin cutting out the backbone, and they bogged down pretty quickly under the heavy load. So I picked up a serrated chef's knife, and it was much easier to cut through the bird. I completed removal of the backbone, but not without some effort.

My wife took possession of the back bone, neck, and giblets, and froze them for making gravy on Thanksgiving.

Then I salted the turkey. I used Morton Kosher salt, 1/2 teasopoon per lb, which was a total of 2 tablespoons for my 12-lb bird. All the instructions I read on the internet stressed to get salt under the skin as well as on the skin, but I found this to be very difficult. I tried to pry the skin loose so I could have direct access to the flesh, and I had some success, but eventually skin began to tear, and I decided to back off before I ruined it. I'll have to watch more Youtube videos to learn how to gracefully address getting under the turkey skin.

I then salted the exposed interior and skin, making sure to apply the most salt to the thick breast area. Then I placed the turkey in a 2-gallon brine bag, and put it in the refrigerator.

Tonight I'll make the rub, apply it tomorrow morning, and re-refrigerate until Sunday morning, at which time I'll smoke it.

There were two pieces of advice I read on the internet that now seem sage:

1. Before trying to smoke a whole turkey, learn to smoke bone-in turkey breasts. That is, learn to cook the meat perfectly before trying to deal with a whole bird at once.

2. The best way to cook a whole bird is to spatchcock it, cut it into individual pieces (legs, thighs, breasts), and smoke them together. That way, each piece can be removed when its internal temperature is perfect.

I will definitely try both of these at some point in the future, depending upon how this cook turns out.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have found that a good pair of pruning shears works really well for spatchcocking a bird. I also have a really good serrated slicer that I use. It goes through the bones like butter.

I have pictures, and will post them when I have time to upload them. I live way out in the sticks, and have to deal with the slowest wired internet service provider there is: AT&T. Some of my picture uploads can seemingly take forever.

Comment

I made the rub tonight. I was very torn on which rub recipe to use. I've tried the Simon & Garfunkel rub on chicken, and wanted to try something different for my first turkey. I settled on the following, because of its base ingredients and recommendations I trusted:

No salt since I dry-brined with 1/2 teaspoon Morton Kosher salt per lb.
      2 Tablespoons ground sage
      5 teaspoons granulated garlic
      2 teaspoons onion powder
      4 teaspoons paprika
      1 Tablespoon dried thyme
      1 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
      1 Tablespoon dried oregano
      1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

The above measurements of black pepper and cayenne pepper are only half the amounts called for in the original recipe.

The onion powder amount is just a guess, because the original recipe called for twice that amount of onion flakes, but I substituted onion powder.

Comment

Sounds really tasty, Thanks!!!
        Enjoy, Amigo!

Comment

Thanks for posting this adventure! I’ve done one small turkey and it was just ok. I think with this practice run, you’ll be a star on the day!

Comment

Maybe this video might help you out some

Comment

TBoneJack You can get under the turkey skin, but you just have to wiggle your fingers under there patiently to work it loose. Be sure, once the rub is under the skin, to smooth the skin down completely. I didn't do this with my first turkey, and when done Mr. Turkey looked like his pants were too short. It was a funny presentation at the table.

Also, I've thawed a lot of turkeys in the fridge, and they always take almost twice as long as predicted. I like keeping my fridge temp as low as I can get it without having stuff freeze. I think it stores food more safely that way what with opening/shutting the door all the time.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; November 4, 2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                It did indeed, DWCowles. I was almost embarrassed to present it to our guests. Fortunately it wasn't Thanksgiving. By then I knew better.

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 on length of time. 2.5 days isn't nearly enough for most birds.

• Buck Flicks
                Buck Flicks commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha... I'd love to see a picture of that.

It's been a while since I have done a turkey, but I usually just put blue bag Kingsford on the Weber 22 with a drip pan full of water and throw on the whole bird. No spatchcock, no stuffing. Almost always comes out great.

Comment

I apologize for the lack of updates. I watched football all day yesterday...

I applied the rub to the turkey last night. While I was doing that, I decided to cut it into parts so I could cook each piece to the perfect temperature. This was the first time I had ever cut up a whole turkey, and when I broke a thigh bone, it splattered bone blood/marrow all over me. I had just taken a shower, and had to take another and change clothes when I finished cutting up the turkey. Live and learn. I should have had my wife take pics. I looked like a Michael Myers victim on Halloween. But I digress.

I put some "extra hot" rub on the wings, for myself and my son. We like a lot of spice.

I then injected the breast and legs-thighs with butter. I used two sticks overall.

I got the smoker going (22.5" WSM), with a mixture of pecan and apple wood chunks. My target temperature was 325, but the WSM never cracked 300 after I put the cold meat inside (the turkey temp was 36.5 when I put it on the smoker). The WSM was in the shade on a bit of a windy day, and it held 275-295 like clockwork with all vents wide open.

I put the breast on the top rack and the legs-thighs on the bottom rack at the same time. I put the wings on the top rack an hour later, but that proved to be a mistake, because their IT was 185 (too high) when the breast hit 160. I'll watch the wings closer next time. The legs-thighs were a perfect 170 when the breast hit 160.

I put the turkey on the smoker at 11:01AM, and all was done at 2:00PM.

The results were surprisingly good for my first turkey. It was juicy, delicious, with a nice smoke flavor, and nice flavor/spice from the rub. The skin was bite-thru. And the natural flavor of the turkey was not masked. And the wings were good as well, with a strong spicy flavor.

I plan to repeat this at Thanksgiving, with the exception of the wings. I'll monitor their IT a bit more closely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	406635

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	406636

Comment

• Mastro
                  Mastro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks very good! What type of wood chucks did you use, if any?

The dark color is from the rub. The recipe called for paprika, and I like a lot of rub on my chicken/turkey.

I also forgot to mention that I don't use a water pan. In its place, I use a pizza tin for a heat deflector.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

TBoneJack, Your Turkey Looks Fit to Eat‼️ I Usually do Turkey Stuffed Whole on the Weber Kettle or on the OK a Joe Highland COS Offsett❗️
                    Pit Seems They Always Get Eaten❓ I think a Fair Statement is Turkey is Best when Smoked‼️
                    Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	406682Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	142
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	406674Click image for larger version

Views:	141
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	406683Click image for larger version

Views:	136
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	406684Click image for larger version

Views:	147
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	406678
                    Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't think there are many of us left who stuff it for outdoor cooking. Danjohnston949!

Yummy Lookin' Turkey!

Comment

Good looking Turkeys!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here