Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artisanal/heirloom Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artisanal/heirloom Turkey

anyone ever done an artisan turkey rather than grocery store/factory raised? Is it worth it?

I would think you would have to use Artisanal wood to have a true Artisanal Turkey. As Jerod Broussard has posted some where before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link. I can tell they put a lot of love into their craft. 😐

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      He had me at "rubbing your log with Ginger Root" LOL!!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Crazy! I think I have some in my wood pile. Anybody interested?

So, that was pretty dang funny Powersmoke_80 ..... now, maybe we can talk about heirloom turkeys

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, Sorry ecowper, I have not done any heritage breeds but seems to me that Kathryn fzxdoc had done it for thanksgiving, maybe she will chime in if memory serves me right.
      Last edited by Powersmoke_80; October 23, 2017, 07:43 AM.

And now that I’ve been doing the research, it turns out the proper term is Heritage Turkey. These are breeds prior to the standard supermarket bird we buy now. The standard bird today was created in the 1950’s through a lot of cross breeding. These birds have huge breasts, very skinny legs, can barely walk and cannot breed without artificial insemination.

Heritage birds have smaller breasts, larger legs, mate naturally, are generally free range. Supermarket birds have less than 2% fat in the breasts, where heritage breeds are in the 5-10 percent range for fat in the breasts. In general, in blind taste tests everyone prefers heritage birds to supermarket birds.

But I’m hoping to hear from folks in the Pit that have cooked heritage breeds and have thoughts on whether they are worth it, or not.

Comment

At first I was like "What the heck is an artisanal turkey?" Is it like the elephant at the zoo that paints? Also reminded me of that commercial making fun of artisanal pickles. Heritage turkeys I am more familiar with. What breed are you looking for. I have used bourbon reds the last two years and have been the best yet. A MILLION times better than the broad brested whites that you get at the grocery store. MUCH more moist and flavorfull.

Comment

texastweeter I am pretty darn good at cooking the factory raised Broad Breasted White like you get in the grocery store. I know, literally, nothing about heritage turkeys, whether how to cook them or which breeds are best. I know a lot about chickens (we raise our own) and what makes for good chicken and eggs.

SOOOOOOO anything that you care to share would be helpful. Until last year, we always did Thanksgiving at my in-laws. My mother-in-law passed away this year and now we are moving Thanksgiving to our house. Naturally, I am elected to do the turkey, stuffing and gravy. I want it to be a great thing for my father-in-law.

Comment

nothing against the broad breasted white I have made many a meal out of them that is great. How do you cook your turkey, spatchcocked, smoked (of course) injected or brined or both. No big details, just a quick rundown and I can tell you what I think. of course I'm no bird whisperer.

Comment

I did have what amounted to a free range heritage turkey that was custom smoked in a local butcher shop a couple of years ago. Perhaps one of the best I’ve ever had. Would be interested in finding some info as well. I’m all about air chilled free range chickens, similar turkeys would peak my interest.

Comment

texastweeter ..... for the typical turkey I do the following:

1. Spatchcock
              2. Dry brine for 24 hours with salt under the skin and on the skin
              3. Wet rub with Simon & Garfunkel and olive oil
              4. I cook my gravy underneath the turkey
              5. I do not inject
              6. I cook on the WSM at 325-350 and I use a fruit wood. This year I happen to have dried cane from pruning a dwarf apple tree and 2 grape vines, which I plan to use for smoke.

Comment

That is perfact eco, I was going to suggest if you inject to dial back the broth strength a bit as the birds have a much stonger flavor of their own, and use a traditional herbal rub like S&G. I use pecan, but I bet the grapevinw will be GREAT, and in the absence of pecan, fruit is always next for turkey.

Comment

texastweeter have you ever had anyone complain that the turkey was gamey, or otherwise not like it?

Comment

Sounds like to me, ya ought to go turkey hunting. That’ll be the real heritage of turkeys, except don’ take any blind tasters hunting, cuz ya don’ know what they might end up shooting.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Try heritagey.

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    EdF Not "gamey at all! Much smaller breast. Very lean! Not injected, so need to be careful of dry, but taste great!!!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks HorseDoctor !

ecowper, I made two heritage turkeys for Thanksgiving back in 2014. They were delicious: juicy and not gamey. See my summary post here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...5654#post35654

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Absolutely, ecowper , but not if I have to pay over $200 for two 16 lb birds! They tasted great, but $6.29/lb is more than I'll pay in future.

Kathryn

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc I normally spend in the $100 range for my roast for Christmas dinner. I figure I'm willing to spend about the same for my meat for Thanksgiving dinner. But if I needed two birds .... we'd be doing a Butterball!

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    its worth it if your pocket book can handle it.

I have cooked local farm raised turkeys before, picked up the day before Thanksgiving. Even those are much better than store bought turkey. Now you have me thinking about doing heritage bird.

Comment

I've done a half dozen or more "artisinal" / "heritage" / "locally and properly raised" turkeys. The heritage does matter in terms of flavor, and properly raised matters more. I very much prefer them to store-bought, though a kosher store bought can be pretty good as well. It's more expensive, but hey, Thanksgiving is a festival, and should be treated that way. Best to get it fresh if you can, but frozen is still superior. Flavor, Man, flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here