Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!

I'm looking for a recipe for chicken jolie blonde and grit cakes that Harry's Seafood Bar and Grille serves in St. Augustine, Florida. I've searched but everything redirects me to their website. Meathead knows his stuff on breaking down certain recipes and FlaBouy might be able to chime in as well.

Huh?? I have no idea what you said but I would add bacon.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      LMAO now

Bacon fixes everything!

Comment

Meh... add a lil Angelina pasta.... then you got yerself a sure nuff Jolie.....

Comment

BTW, for any of you sure nuff cajuns strollin thru, here's the Boss given up his version of Jolie Blonde. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuyImoTWWeg

Comment

Now that we took care of the normal responses, let me apologize up front for not being much help when it comes to "recipes". You see, recipes and I don't see eye to eye. It's that way with most things these days and I am not sure if it is the residual PTSD from being a grunt on the wrong side of the business or just plain old fashion, old age. My palate (educated way of describing my personal preferences) is sort of wandering savant. Giving me a recipe is like throwing a man a road atlas and saying that will get you to Los Angeles. Hell most people will jump in the mini van and head for the closest 30 lane blacktop heading west. Me? Hell, that Atlas would go in the glove box of the beater truck in case I needed kindlin and I would point that thing west and wind up on the Moose Head Ranch in Wyoming. That's my palate. Enjoy the ride, drift with the wind, and watch every sunset. Recipe,... smecipe,...

These days I am up at 3 am every morning heading into the gym to try and get my old ticker woke up enough to get me through the next 24 hours. (Which is why I didn't respond last night, I was "resting" like a smoked brisket in a cambro.) Being up early and first out the door, means I am first in the door in the afternoons and my first action is to walk over to the fridge and take a peek at whatever the princess has set out for me to cook for dinner. I never know what to expect but I do know whatever is set out, I have the means to cook it out on the back patio. Back when I was "expanding" my resume, and I asked this board for suggestions on a daily driver for just the wife and I, the consensus was the 22 and SNS combination and I must say that was sage advice because most every day I toss a chimney of lit charcoals at that thing and do my best damage on whatever is left out for me to deal with. My "recipe" is whatever is in the cupboards and fridge. I take a quick gander at the meat and decide on the wood profile and means to apply heat. I eyeball the pantry to see what I have to work with, and pour myself a Blanton's to help loosen up the right brain, since my left brain has been clicking along on all 8 for the better part of the day.

And then, I go light a chimney.

I apologize for all the words, because there really is no method to most of my madness. I have acquired a few tools and over the years, I have learned to keep them sharp. I really appreciate the nod on all this, but I just wanted to set the record straight on my methods. I post the damage most every day and for the most part, they are all seat of the pants, and what I felt like in the moment. Rarely is a recipe involved and I suspect all of the cayenne and bourbon over the years has made my palate unreliable for most folks. (which might explain my affinity for mesquite... and Mezcal)

I do know this. After 10-12 hours a day of breathing life into machines, there is nothing more relaxing to me than to get into my porch sittin chair in front of my smokers with a glass of bourbon and the smell of hickory or pecan in the air. I have sat in front of many a pit in my life and boy, there are a few stories to be told. I recall my first boil barrel when I was 7... I still remember my dad handing me the rifle back in '68 and me putting down my first Red Duroc for that barrel. Back then we didn't have fancy grills on wheels or pellets for fuel. We had a chainsaw, hickory and oak, a cinder block and tin in ground pit, and a half buried boil barrel. We didn't skin a hawg cause we ate everything and couldn't afford the waste... my granny made chitlins and cornbread with a side of mustard greens that I still wish I could replicate. I do still have all her cast iron.. I just wish I had paid more attention to her skillz on that old stove... but.. when granny was in the kitchen, you best be anywhere else but there.

Anywho.. long story short, I have never been to Harry's even though I have spent a fair amount of time in the area. I have family in Augustine and friends in G'ville and Orlando. Couldn't tell you what all the fuss is about but I suspect a lil smoked yard bird with a lil Bama White sauce would come close. I did manage to find something in an old issue of Southern Livin that may help. So I will post it here in hopes that it was worth all the effort of wadin thru the words.

So... here is Southern Livin's answer to your question. Good Luck with this and if you wind up in Los Angeles, don't blame it on me my friend. Happy smokes.

Chicken Jolie Blonde

1 1⁄2cups mayonnaise
          1⁄3cup apple cider vinegar
          1⁄4cup lemon juice
          2tablespoons sugar
          2tablespoons fresh ground pepper
          2tablespoons white wine worcestershire sauce
          3lbs broiler-fryer chickens, quartered

Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Use a whisk to mix well. Place chicken in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Pour 1 cup of sauce over the chicken. Cover and chill the remaining sauce. Seal bag securely and let marinate in refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours.
          Remove chicken from marinade, discard marinade. Arrange chicken in a large baking dish with skin side down and thicker portion of chicken toward inside of dish. Cover with wax paper and microwave at HIGH for 10 to 12 minutes, turn and rearrange chicken after 5 minutes.
          Grill chicken, uncovered , over medium-hot coals (350° to 400°) for 20 minutes or until done, turning once and basting with reserved sauce.

Grit Cakes

2 cups water2 teaspoons butter
          Salt and pepper
          1/2 cup grits
          1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
          Flour, for dredging
          2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil

Oil a large sheet pan. In a saucepan bring water and butter, seasoned with salt and pepper, to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in grits. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Pour grits onto sheet pan, spreading them evenly. Cool and cut into cakes with a 2 1/2- to 3-inch biscuit cutter.
          In a large preferably nonstick skillet, heat enough oil to coat bottom of pan over medium-high heat. Dredge both sides of cakes in flour and pan-fry about 2 minutes on each side, until golden. Drain on paper towels and keep warm before serving.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent read my friend. Well worth the time and I really do appreciate the help here. "Mesquite and Mezcal!"

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here