Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving "Fattie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving "Fattie"

The wife LOVES turkey dinner, and I heard good things on here about turkey fatties. I did some searching and came across the Thanksgiving Turkey Explosion recipe. I mixed up the turkey on Saturday and cooked it up Sunday. The wrap is turkey bacon.

Pre-cooked shot

Click image for larger version

Name:	CUFb9Vupb_tMt0vrE70tic9Hs1L2bfIVLZeFM9UlMgW-zyXGYM6ES72gmO7ZZfmjwp40mS8reJjnr0h1-KnSHFCkqC35stSVHOXwI9o6Xe8ah408ABQO9zLBdGK5HbyXpGN6ZaN_Rs7-x6GpiNMQJ46Xe-Sbwvmij2U2AHuTd_8XljEDmlsLzpFa4sOERqgzlgJ-XCBjsnAvbYKHyBGL8kR7NoRArWpbTRBIvC-lMMAZv5lUuxv0tSJtCoErwIU
Views:	126
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	385547

Grilled it at about 250. I guessed that it would take about 2 hours, it took a little over 3. Last 30 minutes I brushed it with the cranberry BBQ sauce.

Name:	tWvl6XxGvefPaA4X3fvvkOGkYiPGtmgIc0zj8BSlE3uAog7aYPyq1LuyZdfPWACdj3H9WH2GKernWV_L5Uhln3FGuwkWgjciLKyJKBGaxNq75gy5pikYiwTmpMvd7zisCmyMuU6OjNNHtCNviR5jMgY6Euc5X_cdNfle7wUxwr-x_TxsoJbbrNdETgIv1zH_v00LgUFBWcCkfrKc2F849bv_HR8qA0phPJtMyiF0KA7qVHKFGxK1e19UdVPGnCe
Views:	107
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	385548

Served up with some garlic mashed potatoes and peas.

Name:	-R47f3MaTYP2qqOXKKNJU2mtEWoI5l40FxfG7iOmnPpvIJGCHP6owVsMAZWz4CGdCiXgd5M0px0gCXKAgECBzT6cfSnjxS0ZmPOdLisMcNCPjhyAj97ONjzfNMwzNDGJtT1hYaKHV8R8syWCEn9Dh5dio4cHxra3AcRYkBCMRIyHdCytN2R4OeWFVphgHxv_oVDId8ciefL6s6lkEJ7mBNGR8FgtuJzlDdLtSLAJQQikfCbxJeAjMewAz037gIZ
Views:	101
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	385549

The recipe made up about 1 cup of sauce. It had 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper in it. My wife complained about it being too spicy.

Very good and I will do it again. I guess I'll try it without the jalapeno pepper next time.

I am going to try this. Thanks

Comment

Looks like a fun recipe to try. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathryn

Comment

Don’t take the jalapeño out, just cool them off a little. Cut them in half, remove seeds an veins then get a pan of boiling water going and put them in. Wail about 20 seconds. After 20 seconds or less take them out and right into an ice bath to stop the cooking. You’ve now removed most of the heat but retained the flavor. If you leave them too long they get soft so only go 20 seconds or less. I make poppers for the kids this way too. Now that pan of water has all the oil from the peppers in it.
        Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; September 25, 2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• GregS
          GregS commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll keep that in mind. It doesn't matter if it gets soft since I blended them up anyway to make sure they were diced fine enough. I did take out all the seeds and all the white part.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          A wee drop of tequilla in anything with capsacin will drop the heat very effectively.

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          My kids when little loved raw veggies and when I made stuffed jalapeños they were too hot for them to eat. One day I saw this trick on a cooking show and it worked!!
          If you don’t care if their soft then you can cook longer. But to make stuffed poppers they need to still have a little crunch so boil for 20-30 secs works for us.

that is a really great idea (minus the turkey bacon...)

Comment

• GregS
          GregS commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd prefer regular bacon, but the wife is trying to figure out what is messing with her stomach and pork is very high on the list.

These fatties need something around them or they easily break apart when I move them onto the grill.

I'd eat that. .... wait, is that rice or stuffing?

Comment

• GregS
          GregS commented
          Editing a comment
          onions and celery sauteed and mixed with a cup of bread crumbs. Ends up as stuffing as the juices get soaked up.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          GregS sounds delightful. No Jalapeño for me please.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here