Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cornish Game Hens Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornish Game Hens Ideas

I picked up 2 beautiful Cornish Hens yesterday and realized I have never actually put these on the grill before.

I am wondering..Spatchcock or cook whole? They are so compact I am leaning towards whole.

I am also leaning towards very lightly stuffing with wild rice and maybe some mushrooms. That is my first thought. Even though everyone says stuffing is a no no.

I am open to any and all ideas to help make these birds over the top. I look forward to all of your suggestions.

Troy

I have done them just like a chicken.. sorry no help from me. Look forward to seeing yours.

Comment

I stuff the Thanksgiving turkey. I start the turkey unstuffed, breast down on some buttered bread. Set the kamado to 450, then immediately drop the temp to 325. Cook about an hour to an hour and a half. Meawhile I'm cooking sausage based stuffing in the oven at 350. Pull the bird, stuff it, put it back in the kamado breast up, and cook to done. The procedure makes sure the stuffing gets cooked and actually speeds the cook time.

Now I'm not so sure that can be adapted to such small birds. You might precook the rice, saute the mushrooms and mix the stuffing up to cook and warm while starting the birdies. But I can't imagine the first part going more than 20-25 minutes. Then stuff and finish.

Obviously, this would be an experiment!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here