Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffalo Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo Wings

Well I'm on my way home and all I've been thinking about is firing the Lang up. But the grandkids call me and ask "Pepaw will you cook some Buffalo wings when you get home"? So much for firing the Lang up but I get to try the Vortex thing out.

Might want to sit some of those wings aside and soak and baste in the Huli Huli marinade. I just made and bottled some tonight for the weekend and it smelled great. In a pinch you can just use 1 cup pineapple and 1/4 cup soy - that is what we normally do, but I've got high hope for the Huli. Enjoy the grand-critters!

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      The Huli Huli was really good on a whole cut up chicken I did not long ago and I've been wanting to do it on wings - it will be great

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
    but I get to try the Vortex thing out.
    Hey DW!

Can't go wrong with the Vortex setup. I did some wings / drummies and let them go to 180/182 degrees. Cook's Illustrated recommended and explained why this was the "ideal temp". Yeah, they melt in your mouth.

Now I didn't have the crispiest skin, but #1 basically said "don't change anything". My thoughts would be to bring them closer to the V and char the skin a little...

Anyhooo..., don't forget the cayenne!

--Ed

Comment

I posted this in a recipe thread about my hot wing sauce

The recipe:

1 23 oz. bottle of Frank's Hot sauce
      42 oz. tomato juice
      4 oz. lime juice
      4 oz lemon juice
      1 tbsp cayenne
      1 tbsp ancho powder (this is a variation, the real recipe calls for cayenne only)
      2 tbsp malt vinegar
      1 tbsp tamarind paste (also not in the real recipe)

Whisk in mixing bowl well. Refrigerate after preparing for optimum freshness.
      I use a gallon plastic pitcher to shake the chicken wings or boneless wings.

The sauce isn't overpowering heat wise but has a good flavor

Comment

I have decided to do the wings for the grandkids and fire the Lang up so I can do some ribs for me and the wife. I will try to post pics when it happens.
        Last edited by DWCowles; December 4, 2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Who can resist firing up the stickburner? Heck I think sometimes I'd like to without any food to cook...

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I just got home about an hour ago and the first thing I did was went over and gave it (the Lang) a hug...

I tried Meathead's recipe for wings last night on my Weber. The wings turned out well - certainly very edible and tasty, but honestly, I think frying them in oil on the stove produces a better quality. It could very well be my inexperience or something I did, but crisping the skin on about 30 wings in a Weber Kettle over glowing hot coals is no easy feat. Some of them are bound to get a little blackened. These turned out pretty much like regular chicken parts I have grilled before.

Previously for wings, I had heated up about an inch of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet on my stove and cooked the wings - covered, turning once. That resulted in a wing with "tight" skin, evenly done throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by PenskeFile View Post
          I tried Meathead's recipe for wings last night on my Weber. The wings turned out well - certainly very edible and tasty, but honestly, I think frying them in oil on the stove produces a better quality. It could very well be my inexperience or something I did, but crisping the skin on about 30 wings in a Weber Kettle over glowing hot coals is no easy feat. Some of them are bound to get a little blackened. These turned out pretty much like regular chicken parts I have grilled before.

Previously for wings, I had heated up about an inch of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet on my stove and cooked the wings - covered, turning once. That resulted in a wing with "tight" skin, evenly done throughout.
          That's exactly what I found Penske. I liked the ones I cooked, but I think I prefer deep fried wings. Like you say they are tough to crisp up w/o charring and charred chicken skin (unlike beef & pork) to me doesn't taste any good. Next time I do them I will go very lightly on the smoke, maybe even only charcoal for heat, and no crisping. I think that will make a better grilled wing for my tastes.

Comment

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll stick with the Cook'sCountry and the Vortex as discussed. Deep frying them is also great! Got a recipe somewhere...

I have to get a Vortex when I get another kettle, well, one bigger than a Smokey Joe.

Comment

I haven't done wings with the Vortex yet, only my smokenator. I think the Vortex will provide a better direct heat source and a larger area for crisping. No, it will never be the same as dropping them in the deep fryer, but the smoke flavor is nice, and it's healthier

Comment

Here's some stats from Meathead's Cooking Log of 11/09/14.

The Food
              • 2+ lbs fresh wings, separated into wings / drummies
              • 1/2 cup salt brine for about 30 minutes - DO NOT brine for more than 30 minutes, otherwise too salty
              • Dusting of cornstarch, black pepper, cayenne

The Setup on 22.5 OTS
              • Vortex centered / narrow up
              • 50 briqs

The Cook
              • Wings placed around kettle perimeter @ 475
              • Temp Steady around 433
              • IT after 11 minutes: Wings @ 156, Drummies @ 153
              • Pulled Cover and dropped the temp down to 261 to simulate moving wings to crisp / char them. Didn't really do it as this was the 1st time I've done this and I wanted to see how they'd come out without touching them
              • Cooked another 10 minutes, kettle temp got up to 405
              • IT after 21 minutes: Wings @ 182, Drummies @ 180

You do not have to turn or flip wings / drummies during cook. CI does their wings 22-25 minutes. The Vortex cut it down to 21 minutes.

The Product
              • Skin slightly crisp, I could do better, but #1 says "don't change anything".
              • Very moist and juicy - melt in your mouth. CI says that the collagen doesn't start to really break down until 170's, so 180 is their recommend temp. You bet!

A recommended sauce would be Buffalo Bleu Cheese made with Frank's Red Hot!

Would do again - Duh!

HTH,

--Ed

Comment

Ed, when you say salt brine I assume you mean wet brine? How much water do you use for 1/2C salt, 1/2 gallon?

Comment

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  1. Dissolve 1/2 cup salt in 2 quarts cold water in large container. Prick chicken wings all over with fork. Submerge chicken in brine, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Pricking with fork allows brine to penetrate.

Used table salt. CooksCountry says the brine will keep the wings moist and juicy even when cooked to 180 - they were.

Their recipe is for 2 doz wings.

After brining, the wings are patted dry and then coated down with the dusting of:

1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
                  1 teaspoon pepper

Cornstarch prevents sticking - which it did.

I added 1/4 tsp cayenne!

Man, I'd do a couple-o-pounds right now! LOL!
                  Last edited by Medusa; December 6, 2014, 07:28 AM. Reason: Why prick with fork?

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All I did with mine was put them in a large bowl with a lid add a little olive oil toss them till they all got cover with olive oil then I add some rub to them and toss them again till they were cover with the rub. Put in fridge overnight. After putting them on the grill with the Vortex they cook for about 15 minutes then I flip them over and let cook for about 10 more minutes. When I check them with the Thermapen they were at 185. They were very moist and juicy and tasty. I won't change a thing the next time.
                  Last edited by DWCowles; December 6, 2014, 09:13 PM.

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perfect!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC_Chickent_Wings.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	37607

Here's Cook'sCountry's version of wings! I might have to defy #1 and strive for skin that looks like this!

Yeah, that's the ticket... Sorry Honey, I made a mistake and accidentally made the skin crispy...
                Last edited by Medusa; December 6, 2014, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0304.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	37911 Click image for larger version

Name:	10329902_4888640469167_7203374526416525956_o.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	37910 Final results and they were fantastic

Comment

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fantastic DWC! Great compliment Huskee!

"Our work here is complete".

• HC in SC
                    HC in SC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks great!

• Papa Bob
                    Papa Bob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    my friend next time you do wings CAN I COME OVER

Those do look fantastic, like something from a restaurants website. I can see where the Vortex must make a big difference, but I just can't bring myself (yet) to part with $45 plus $16 for S&H. I keep thinking of ways to try and make one DIY.

For instance, I had an old mini charcoal grill in my garage - about the same size as a Weber Smoky Joe. Since I also have a Smoky Joe, this thing was just sitting there in the garage unused for a couple years. I took it apart and I'm going to test using the bottom half as a sort of charcoal basket, poor-mans Vortex. I'm sure it wont work as well as a proper Vortex, but it might help with new ways of controlling my 22 in kettle. That technique of putting the wings all around the outer ring is the key I think.

Comment

• The Burn
                    The Burn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not much of a price difference ($8), but www.owensbbq.com has the medium Vortex (for 22 & 26" kettles for $39.95 and they ship USPS priority mail for $13.

• PenskeFile
                    PenskeFile commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I started working on one over the Christmas break but stopped as soon as I realized I had galvanized metal. A couple google searches showed this to be a big no-no due to the chemicals used in the galvanizing process.

Looking at those cone calculations, it seems to me that you need a piece of metal that is at least 29 inches by 22 inches. My Home Depot does not carry stainless sheets and on Amazon, the only one I can find is $35 plus $14 S&H (no Prime option). Thats the cost of the real deal obviously, so maybe thats why its priced that way by Mad Hunky Meats.

I think I will have to give up on this design idea and just buy from the manufacturer. DIY doesn't seem to be much of a savings here.

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, sometimes it's just more cost-effective to buy the product than to DIY.

I got a Kreg Pocket Hole Master Set and assorted fasteners about 2 years ago to build #1 cubby shelves. Haven't used it, haven't built shelves.

Remember, DIY = Destroy it yourself!

These look great, I got a new torch so maybe I can get the skin to crisp up! I need that Vortex, gonna go see if it is on Amazon cause I have a gift card to cover it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here