Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franken-Fried Chicken - Will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franken-Fried Chicken - Will it work?

So, I'm trying to figure out whether something is the worst idea ever, or whether it might work. This post is written in hopes that someone here has thoughts on the matter.

I have 2-3 whole chickens that have been cut and prepped down to 8 pieces each and brined, marinated and lightly dredged to be fried. The fry seasoning is fantastic. They were prepared for a large party and we didn't cook them all in the fryer at the time, so they were frozen. I'd like to cook the rest of them for another party we are going to host, but I don't want to fry them. Instead, I want to cook them on the WSCGC. That said, I have no idea how the coating/spice mixture will react to indirect heat on the WSCGC. To fry them, I would put them in oil at 350-375, so what would happen if I brought the WSCGC up to 375 on indirect, lightly sprayed the chicken pieces with oil and let the WSCGC do its thing? Would it be terrible? What would the flour do under that kind of heat with very little oil? It seems to me that it will either work or be absolutely terrible and I honestly have no idea which one would happen. I can always clean off the chickens and reseason them, but that seems a waste of some really good flavor.

I searched the site and found a couple of posts where it appears that others have done something similar and it worked, but I'm still unsure. Worst case scenario, I can try one piece, see what happens, and report back but I thought I'd check here before wasting a piece of chicken on the experiment.

Wipe it off

Comment

The science of keeping the flour from burning on the grill is beyond my current experience level. I'd guess it will burn before the pices are cooked.

Comment

Originally posted by kmhfive View Post
        The science of keeping the flour from burning on the grill is beyond my current experience level. I'd guess it will burn before the pices are cooked.
        That was my initial thought and gut reaction as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
          Wipe it off
          Thanks - I was leaning that way, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe that it was a very good question. I have often wondered about the effects of a batter on chicken in a BBQ but never thought of asking the question. My belief was that it would not work so I have never tried it. I enjoy reading the responses. Thanks for asking.

It's a brined bird. Defrost, a quick rinse or wipe and reseason. Not an issue. Just be carful with the skin. I likely would rinse and pat. About all the same though. Good luck!

Lets see those pics too!

Comment

if you froze them wouldn't they be wet when they thawed? i don't think flour, chicken juices, and oil would make for a tasty coating on a bird

Comment

The only way to find out is to sacrifice one piece. I'd do it in the oven so I wouldn't have to fire up a cooker for just one piece.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
                if you froze them wouldn't they be wet when they thawed? i don't think flour, chicken juices, and oil would make for a tasty coating on a bird
                You're probably right. I was initially thinking it could work out like some of the variants of "oven fried" chicken I've seen recipes for, but I'm increasingly convinced it was a terrible idea to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                  The only way to find out is to sacrifice one piece. I'd do it in the oven so I wouldn't have to fire up a cooker for just one piece.
                  True, I may just sacrifice a piece just to see what in the hell would happen. I doubt the result would be edible, but I'm curious what the end result would be.

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Edible would depend on how high your standards are. LOL

I have grill fried chicken before with bread crumbs and instant potato flakes as a breading, but always at the 375-400 mark and it came out very good

Comment

When I saw this title, all I could think of is, it's alive, it's alive!

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      robot chicken on adult swim cam to mind for me.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here