Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked and grilled duck breasts with a lemon curd glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked and grilled duck breasts with a lemon curd glaze

I planned to cook a whole duck but couldn't get one. So I settled for two duck breast filets. Nice quality, they weigh approx. 12-14 oz each (350-400 grams).

After a discussion in this thread I thought: why not smoke and grill it? Said and done, that's what I did. Also; duck goes great with citrus flavors, so I figured brushing it with lemon curd (a British supersmooth lemon marmalade) would be great. It was. Here's how.

1. Dry brine the duck a few hours before the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck_breasts_raw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	357289

2. Before they go on the grill you brush them with a thick layer of lemon curd on the meat side. Smoke them with apple wood, skin side down, for 30-40 minutes until their inner temp is 131° F (55° C).

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck-breasts-glazed.jpg Views:	1 Size:	162.5 KB ID:	357288

3. Remove the lid and stoke the fire. Now sear them 30 seconds per side, skin side down, then flip. Repeat. Watch out for grease fires, that skin is fatty.

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck-breasts-seared.jpg Views:	1 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	357290

4. Brush another layer of lemon curd, again on the meat side, and wrap in aluminum foil and a towel (faux cambro). Let them rest for 20 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck-breasts-wrap.jpg Views:	1 Size:	175.1 KB ID:	357291

Slice and serve. I did these with oven roasted carrots and parsnips, and served it with a red wine sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck-breasts.jpg Views:	1 Size:	328.4 KB ID:	357292

Super tasty, you gotta try it folks!

Here's the plate I served, with the veggies and sauce. Not the best of shots, but boy this was good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	duck-breasts-plate.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	357294

Comment

Wow, that looks amazing! I'd eat that. What a great looking sauce! I'm getting hungry now.

Comment

Yummy!

Comment

Ya got my mouth watering...

Comment

Looks good, Henrik ... but you kinda lost me at "lemon". As Peter, Paul, and Mary once sang: "Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat"! Glad you enjoyed it, though ... ...

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              You know that lemon becomes way sweeter when you heat them up ;-)

Now who woulda thunk to put lemon curd on duck? Sounds like it was a great idea. Soon as you send me some of that duck I'll be able to give you a definitive answer, Henrik .

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Bingo. Great idea for the pork tenderloin, Henrik . I'm definitely giving that a try soon. Thanks! P.S. I loved visiting your country this past month. Took a food tour of Stockholm which was the best!
              K.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              And don't forget peaches and pork butt cutlet on a hot CI pan on top of the grid.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a plan, EdF . Peaches and pork. Yum.

Kathryn

WOW!!!! That looks incredible. I need to get over to Sweden! Thanks for doing this cook Henrik. It always a treat to see your results. Great camera work too, brother! And that glaze looks divine.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, brother! I really enjoyed this cook. After resting the meat it had an IT of 142-143° F (62° C), which was just right.

That looks fantastic! I love the depth of colour you got from the eggs in the curd. You got me thinking...

Comment

Wow! That sounds and looks terrific!

Comment

Oh...That is Beautiful!!...

Comment

Wow yum ..,.and I love the personalized cutting board...awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here