Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ain't She Purdy? 2014

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ain't She Purdy? 2014

This is the official thread for posting Thanksgiving Day photos of your turkeys. Since this IS a recipe section, please also let us know how you cooked the turkey, what you thought of the results, and what you'd do differently next time. Even if you followed MH's ultimate turkey recipe please give specifics about what you did. Everyone executes a little differently and we all want to steal each other's techniques.... erm... share I mean

yes she is purdy Click image for larger version

Name:	1896991_4799420479718_6822365230532855044_n.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	35099

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Breasts with tan lines...S'what I'm talkin bout.

Well, I have certainly cooked chicken using the spatchcock technique...and have COMPLETELY abandoned beer can chicken after reading the discussion here. So, after turning to my online outdoor cooking "bible", I decided I'd either vertically roast or spatchcock the turkey for Thanksgiving this year. Wish I had decided to get TWO turkeys, 'cause I'm betting that a vertically roasted bird would be spectacular...but I went with the latter technique.

I made a rub of sage, marjoram, rosemary, black peppercorn, paprika, and salt. Not putting it on the grill for a while, but wanted to share the evolving photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spatchcock 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	35102 Click image for larger version

Name:	Spatchcock 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	35103 Click image for larger version

Name:	Spatchcock 3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	35104

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a great day, indeed=)

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Wondering where the 'after' pic is.....

• cut2cure
      cut2cure commented
      Editing a comment
      I finally got to it this morning, Huskee! Too much fun last night with family, and a few drinks, too! Posted a picture down the thread a bit...it was sublime!

I just found out that a spatchcocked 16 lb bird won't fit on an 18.5" WSM. Plan B. Happy Thanksgiving!

Name:	image_3797.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	35133
    Last edited by David Parrish; November 28, 2014, 12:59 PM. Reason: Displayed photo

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Solution- promptly attain a 22.5" WSM!

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      This could be the excuse I needed to buy an EOS. I bet you never have this problem with your Yoder, right Huskee? : )

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      BC you are approved to use this rationale. Move forward with plan "Obtain EOS Acquisition Approval". Good luck, and report back if able

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
    I just found out that a spatchcocked 16 lb bird won't fit on an 18.5" WSM. Plan B. Happy Thanksgiving!

LOL. Perhaps vertically?

Comment

• cut2cure
      cut2cure commented
      Editing a comment
      Bummer...Maybe even separate the thighs from the breast and cook in three separate pieces?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree, vertically should work [he says LONG after the fact]....

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestions guys. I made it work.

Farm fresh turkey cooks way quicker. This is my 18 1/2 pound bird, took just over three hours at 250.
    -Alden

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a perfect wooden model of a turkey, lol

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Very Nice!

• AldenMiller
      AldenMiller commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that the eating is done I can report back that my practice runs worked. This bird was awesome, lots of compliments from the family and I was very pleased with the result.

-Alden

AM officially wins the double bonus points for the day. Keep those photos coming Pitmasters

Comment

Howdy from our nation's capitol y'all. Just set this Simon & Garfunkel rubbed beauty down to take a nap in my Weber Kettle (with Smokeanator) for the next several hours. Hope she turns out great! More updates soon. Happy Thanksgiving.

Name:	turkey.png
Views:	146
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	35152
      Attached Files

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        The rub looks a little light on the outside of the skin. If your bird hasn't been on for long I'd give it another coat of spices. Spritz lightly with a little oil and gently sprinkle on some black pepper, sage, and thyme.

Howdy back and Happy Thanksgiving!

• chrislatondresse
        chrislatondresse commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip, Pit Boss. Most of the rub is under the skin.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        You bet. Keep us posted.

Well, mine sure ain't purdy! If it had as many thermometer probes sticking out of it as I stuck in it....it would look like a dang porcupine! Dinner is to be at 1, at 11 turkey looking great so figure time to check temp. 180 180??!! poked the poor thing in every place I could sure the thermometer is broken. Of course it wasn't....I have just been serving family and friends way over cooked food forever. New Years Resolution made today..never cook anything without thermometer in. Hugs to MH and his gang of moderators for insisting I invest in them. On a positive note, a beautiful 60 degree day here, family here and healthy so who cares if bird looks like pincushion? Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by ontheranch View Post
        Well, mine sure ain't purdy! If it had as many thermometer probes sticking out of it as I stuck in it....it would look like a dang porcupine! Dinner is to be at 1, at 11 turkey looking great so figure time to check temp. 180 180??!! poked the poor thing in every place I could sure the thermometer is broken. Of course it wasn't....I have just been serving family and friends way over cooked food forever. New Years Resolution made today..never cook anything without thermometer in. Hugs to MH and his gang of moderators for insisting I invest in them. On a positive note, a beautiful 60 degree day here, family here and healthy so who cares if bird looks like pincushion? Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

OTR we're glad to help. I seem to recall us having that convo about the digital thermometer. Even at 180 it'll probably still be OK, at least the dark meat. Much better than it would have been without the thermometer, anyway

Comment

• ontheranch
          ontheranch commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, the turkey was delicious! But you're right David, without thermometer I would have let it cook for another hour and we would have eaten cardboard. I have learned more here in 3 months than from all the cookbooks I have. Not only about grilling and BBQ but everyday cooking in general. Again, thanks all!

I'll edit later today. Cooked on Big Worm

Comment

• cut2cure
          cut2cure commented
          Editing a comment
          That is awesome!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Here comes Ernest with his magazine quality shots! Nice!

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          That thing turned out fantastic!! I actually went for seconds and came back empty handed. It was devoured.

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
        I'll edit later today. Cooked on Big Worm
        NICE. Was the PBC jealous?

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          No sir. Went with Big Worm, fantastic bird. I actually ate turkey

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          No, that's a Big Worm turkey.
          I'm under the influence of Jack Daniels right now. LOL.
          BEST TURKEY EVER!
          Here's some PBC ribs for your enjoyment, no sauce

Here's my turkey going on the Mak 2 Star.

Comment

• cut2cure
          cut2cure commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks fantastic!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Dave I think it's about time you too get a haircut and a real job

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Haircuts aren't an expense I need worry about... And jobs I have aplenty. Let's just stay status quo!

Very nice Boss!! Voluptuous to say the least What did you rub it with?

Comment

It's a spice I got from a local place called Savory Spice Shop. It's called Tiny Town Turkey Rub and is a mix of Paprika, Sage, Onion, Garlic, Rosemary, Pepper, Thyme, Parsley, Marjoram, Red Bell Pepper, Coriander, Allspice, Oregano, and a few other state secrets they don't disclose. We haven't tried it before so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Other than a rub substitution I've followed MH's recipe to a tee.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here