Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ain't She Purdy? 2014

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee, I said you were a nice guy meaning, I don't think they appreciated your efforts and would have been just as happy with a boiled hot dog on a piece of week old white bread. But, I appreciate your efforts and the event shows what a kind professional you are.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8221.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	35968 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8219.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	35777 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8218.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	35778 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8220.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	35779 A day late and a dollar short....Today is actually our Turkey Day. I will post some pics anyway.
      Last edited by troymeister; November 30, 2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks mighty fine mister! Happy people in your house tonight.

Thanks guys, yeah I think my extra ten minutes of eyeroll-inducing madness was vindicated at chow time. Barry, you're right, many people don't know the difference and would've been fine with dry rubber skin turkey but I wanted to show them the difference while I had the chance. Plus, when helping instruct so many on the AR Disqus boards, I felt like a hypocrite NOT doing it!

Comment

Huskee, congrats on saving the day for the Thanksgiving meal. I bet even the turkey was grateful! Plus, I bet everyone enjoyed watching you score one for the Gipper, er, Meathead.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Kathryn! Yes, I told them it was the AmazingRibs way. They didn't complain when they ate, that's for sure.

Here is my submission right off the Lang with my new supply of pecan wood. It was fantastic.
        IMG_1638.JPG

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I really enjoy pecan wood on poultry too, in light doses. It's a good universal wood similar to hickory, a little milder though.

Cooked this 16 lb. beauty on my WSM 22.5”, using KBB charcoal in the Soo Donut setup with a 2 oz. mix of apple and cherry woods. (Faced outside temps of 23° and at times, wind gusts of up to 18 mph.) Following MH’s revised recipe and first time using the spatchcock method. Produced a moist, well-seasoned, & flavorful turkey. Gravy also turned out well – added a nice smokiness when added to the side dressings. Received a lot of oohs, aahs, and mmms as I brought it inside from the smoker. This was a second turkey to my wife’s 23 lb. traditional oven roasted turkey. In the spirit of fun, I had challenged my wife to a turkey “throw-down” of sorts. As I went around checking with my guests, one of my brother-in-laws gave me a thumbs up and quickly put his finger to his lips in a shush motion because my wife was standing in the background. So in my mind I won! Both birds turned out delicious. It made for a very happy crowd. Thanks to all the moderators who offered their expertise in answering my many questions. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Photo 1 - After 1 hr on the smoker - foil the wings & legs. Photo 2 - Finished - waiting to be carved.

Name:	IMG_1211.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	35915

Name:	IMG_1212.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	35917
        Last edited by Smokin'Rick; November 29, 2014, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job, Rick.

A PBC Thanksgiving for us! Spatchcocked a 15.5 pound, fresh, free-range bird on Tuesday night, dry marinated with a rub similar to Simon and Garfunkel open in the fridge until noon on Thursday. None of that brining stuff and no injection. Here is the bird, hooks in and ready to go on the PBC.

Name:	WP_20141127_12_41_18_Pro.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	35923

Got the PBC all warmed up. I filled the coal basket, then transferred 60 to the chimney. Gave the coals 20 minutes in the chimney (at 500 ft elevation) since they seemed a little slower than usual. Dumped coals into the basket and transferred to the PBC. I then placed my BBQ thermometer and closed up the PBC. I waited until the temp hit 325, then added a couple modest handfuls of alder chips for a little extra smoke to start things off. Here is the bird hanging in the PBC.

Name:	WP_20141127_13_15_02_Pro.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	35926
        The BBQ temp gradually dropped to around 260 and settled there for about an hour and a half, while the temp of the bird gradually moved up. The temp of the bird reached 160 right about 3 hours and 15 minutes. Here is the cooked bird, in all of its glory, right after transferring form the PBC into the house.

Name:	WP_20141127_16_45_52_Pro.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	35927

The bird had to wait for about 20 minutes while I got other dishes finished and into the oven. Disassembled and sliced the bird for serving, looked like this on the serving platter:

Name:	WP_20141127_17_11_42_Pro.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	35928

The results were tremendous! Everyone enjoyed the turkey and the leftovers have been nothing short of awesome. My dad proclaimed that he had never had dark meat that delicious, as he had seconds and skipped the breast meat for some luscious thigh meat instead. Can't wait for the next cook! Brisket for Christmas? Ribs for New Years Day?
        Attached Files

Comment

I really like the way you laid that bird out on the serving plate, teddink. Picture perfect for sure. It's good to hear that at the lower temp of 260 (as opposed to 325), the bird turned out perfect. Our PBCs seem to do a great job at whatever temperature they settle in at. Congrats on a great cook.

Kathryn

Comment

I had to do mine a day in agave due to thunderstorm threat.

Dry brined, then moisturized with duck fat and drained with herbs de Provence.

Comment

Looks awesome Ernest .. love that extra crispy looking skin

Comment

We have an "Ain't she Purdy 2015" thread for this year. Link here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here