Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Duck

Does anyone have experience Smoking a duck?

Ernest has done some. I'm not sure if he has posted any in the recipe section. I know you must collect the fat. Kinda like a major faux pas not to.

Comment

Not a duck, but I did try to smoke a domestic goose once.... as jerod said collect the fat. Myself, I did not. I wish someone was there to video me in a state of panic throwing snow on a grease fire. Not one of my proudest moments...
      Let me know how the duck turns out. Next year I will be getting back into duck hunting. Also thinking about raising a few to eat bugs in the gardens.

Comment

I thought I replied to this thread. I just got done with another duck.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks jam-up Ernest!

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful plate!

Very nice.

Comment

Hi Dan! I've cooked a TON of ducks in my time(I'm a chef), and I think I can help. To smoke ducks, one needs to use a 2 stage cooking process. First, rub, inject, or whatever you are going to do to flavor the duck. Then, cook low and slow(about 200ish) with a catch pan to catch the rendered fat. This part will take a couple hours. Your duck should be still rare at this point.Then, increase the heat to 250-300 to finish the cooking process to desired doneness(you can go higher if needed). The idea is to render the excess fat first, then finish cooking to your liking. I hope this is a help to you.

Comment

Strat is correct. I do that indoors. But for my PBC, I use a needle to poke the duck a whole bunch of times. Hang it at 275 until it gets to about 110 IT then blast it at about 375. Only issue with PBC duck is I haven't come up with a way to collect the fat.

Comment

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              For the blanching stage, I do one of two things(for bbq that is).For my ultra crappy offset, I place the duck in a roasting type pan on a bed of mirepoix, then heat to about 200ish. Or, in my cheesy 7-in-1, I just put a drip pan beneath the bird on a lower shelf, and heat to 200ish.The amount of smoke at this stage is up to you. It works for me and my rig, so I'm sure you can finagle something with the PBC if needed.

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I've an obscene amount of duck fat in my freezer. I think that's why I'm not too keen to find a way. But it hurts me everytime I lose that fat in my PBC.

That is one awesome looking duck!!

Comment

Thank you Troy. Salt, pepper fire.

Comment

Thanks for all the help

Comment

I just did a whole duck on my WSM this weekend. First cut a bunch of small Xs in the skin/fat (not the meat) to let the fat render out while cooking. Rubbed the whole duck with a mix of salt, pepper, paprika and cardomom, stuffed some orange slices and fresh thyme in the cavity, and then put on the smoker at 225-250 for about 4 hours (to reach 165). Once it was done smoking I blasted it in the oven at 450 for about 10 minutes to crisp the skin. Served with a sauce made with orange juice, zest, cointreau, thyme, red wine vinegar, honey and some mustard powder. Very delicious.

Comment

Smoking a while duck certainly can turn out well, but your best results will come from cooking parts separately. Legs/thighs/wings can be cooked "chicken style," but breast is at its best when left medium rare, but with crispy skin, so hot and fast is required.

Comment

I've made Peking Duck. I enjoyed the two or three day process and results.

Comment

• DeusDingo
                        DeusDingo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        great looking du...THE HEAD IS ON IT!

fa-ra-ra-ra-ra--ra-ra-ra-ra

• CapeMay
                        CapeMay commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No, no, no, no. Not ra-ra-ra-ra. la-la-la-la

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here