Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to buy raw chicken wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to buy raw chicken wings?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but where does everyone get their chicken wings? Local butcher, grocery store? Just getting in to the grilling/smoking arena and curious what the best options are so that I don't have to keep paying $1-2 a piece for mediocre wings.

I buy mine from Kroger, they are always good and they grill up very nice.

Comment

I haven't had great luck lately buying wings, even the IQF (individually quick frozen) ones designed for "wing night" parties....they always come out too small and smell freezer burnt like they're 3 years old. In fact, just tonight I was telling my wife that I'm going to start doing Buffalo Drums (Hot Legs?) instead of overpriced less-than-fresh wings. Drumsticks are often on sale for $.99/lb. Wings go "on sale" for $5-6/bag, and that's a much lower meat:bone ratio. I'm a huge fan of wings but I just can't find restaurant quality raw wings. I'll be watching this thread for advice to help me change my mind...but it's hard to beat $1/lb anything!

Comment

When I'm willing to splurge, I go to the Farmers Market. There's a family there that sells meat. Good quality. Unfortunately, $4.19 a pound.

Comment

I usually buy the 10 lb bag at Sam's club since they are pre-cut and large and meaty. If I find the wings on sale then I will buy those and cut them up myself.

Comment

Kroger always has them dirt cheap where I live. But then I have to cut the drumsticks and flats apart. No biggie.

Comment

From a raw chicken wing farm!

Comment

I'm gonn let you in on a secret, don't tell anyone cause if it gets out - it's all over.

Not only can you get the cheapest $$ pork belly, but you can get the best chicken wings from Asian meat markets, preferable the Vietnamese meat markets.

These items are a staple in their diet.

Comment

I refuse to pay more than $2.59 a pound for wings. i get them from smart n Final and cut them my self into 3 pieces. I save the wing tip for stock. keep in mind that frozen wings may have up to a 15% brine.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                    From a raw chicken wing farm!
                    And if you need boneless:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.PNG
Views:	216
Size:	913.2 KB
ID:	346418

Comment

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm dying. I have not seen this one.

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's what I had in mind. It has been a couple of decades since I saw that. Left an indelible impression. The chix on the sign was the one that really got me.

• Sultan2ofswat
                      Sultan2ofswat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha love it

I normally grab my wings from Publix in the whole wing family packs. They generally have the most consistently sized wings in my area. They usually cost $3.59 a pound, lower with sales. I usually get 18-20 wings a pack. Like DWCowles, HouseHomey, and Steve R. I will finish breaking them down at home.

Keep an eye out when browsing your local meat supplier. Sometimes you can find some really good sales on wings. I used to balk at paying $14-$16 for a pack of wings until I started paying more attention to what I would pay for wings in a restaurant. Now those same 18-20 wings, broken down into 36-40 wings at $14-$16 seem alot better than the 10 wings you bought at (x) cost at your favorite wing place.

Comment

Costco wings are 1.99 /lb and don't include the pointy ends that have no meat.

Comment

• Greasy
                        Greasy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They're also not pigeon sized!!

• HouseHomey
                        HouseHomey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My Costco in Fountain Valley does not have the same prices as everyone else. Geeze?

• Sultan2ofswat
                        Sultan2ofswat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My Costco in Knoxville was 3.49/lb, wish they were $1.99!

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting some at Kroger for $2.49/lb and cooked them up last night. Plenty meaty and turned out great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here