Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S&G Chicken, first try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&G Chicken, first try

This was my first attempt at chicken on the grill. I've only done pork in the past, and this is only my 3rd smoke ever on my little 18" Weber (Rudy). I tried to keep it as simple as possible for the first time, which is why I went with the Simon & Garfunkel recipe. Making the rub couldn't have been easier.

I'm finding that the grocery store that's only 5 minutes from my house is also working out really well for my grilling/smoking needs. I've bought my ribs, pork butt, and now chicken there. They had leg quarters, unfrozen, which I figured would save me a lot of time/work - so that's what I went with. I dry brined them for 1 hour, rubbed them with S&G, and they were ready to grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jul 08, 5 05 13 PM.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	346022

I was super excited to use my new birthday gift, the Thermoworks Smoke! It was REALLY nice being able to see the temps and set alarms, and be in the house and still know what was going on. Thoroughly enjoyed the Smoke.

Name:	Photo Jul 08, 5 27 56 PM.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	346023

I couldn't QUITE get things honed in on 325, but I wasn't too worried about it as the meat temp kept steadily rising. I do think I should have used a bit more charcoal though. For some reason I only put in 3/4 of a chimney worth, and I think if I'd had a full chimney worth I could have bumped it up that last few degrees to 325 easily enough.

Once they hit 145, I crisped them up on the direct heat side until they were a nice golden brown, then put them back on the other to finish (wanted to make sure they all hit the proper cooking temp before serving).

Name:	Photo Jul 08, 6 14 20 PM.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	346024

My kids are still pretty young and don't eat a ton, so these 4 quarters turned out to be more than enough for dinner! We ended up picking two of them and then having them on sandwiches the next day. That was super yummy as well.

It didn't say specifically (or I overlooked it) in the book whether or not to add wood and actually smoke it, so I added a small piece of apple. That was plenty of smoke for this chicken and it had a nice smoky flavor. Definitely wouldn't use any more wood in the future - just that small amount was enough.

What I really like about this recipe is that it was pretty easy to make (not very involved), and was a relatively quick cook. I still have 4 more quarters in the freezer, so I'll be doing this again soon!

That's the beauty of chicken, it doesn't take too long. I really like apple wood with chicken, great combo. Nice cook!

Comment

Looks great. Thanks for doing this post. It reminds me that I haven't done S&G chicken in a while. Now on my list for next week sometime.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't forget the butter under the skin!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh hell yea Spinaker I'm also thinking about injecting one section,for me, with some Reaper sauce I made up a while back. S&G chicken with a KICK. Whohoo.

Legs, thighs and wings are super delicious. Those quarters are forgiving too. Great looking food. For sure on that sammich, never a bad idea!

Comment

Great post! I don't do chicken often either. May have just been pushed a little closer!!

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

That is EXACTLY like I do it most of the time. Nice Job! Looks terrific!!

Comment

• j_keegan
              j_keegan commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know I'm on the right track!

That looks delicious. I even put S&G in my omelets.

Comment

• j_keegan
              j_keegan commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice idea!

Well done.

Comment

Looks good! I like to add some butter under the skin before cooking, this helps to crisp the skin and adds richness to the cook.

Comment

• j_keegan
                j_keegan commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the tip Spinaker - do you apply it under the skin but on the meat, or do you apply it to the underside of the skin itself?

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I put a small slice under the skin, on the highest point of the meat. Then it melts down and bastes the meat as it melts! j_keegan

• j_keegan
                j_keegan commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotcha! Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here