Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MH's Ultimate Smoked Turkey - Question relating to Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MH's Ultimate Smoked Turkey - Question relating to Heat

I am going to be making the turkey this year. My issue is that my equipment - a Weber Summit gasser with 4 burners - does not get up to 325 on just two burners. My question is: Is it better to cook 1) for longer at a lower temp with 2 burners OR 2) at 325 with a third burner on low, but the third burner would be underneath part of the drip pan and therefore part of the turkey?

Thanks!

Temps below 325 will yield rubbery skin. I find 225 much easier to maintain, and my family has informed me that they don't care much about the skin; they would rather have me inside with them enjoying the holiday.
    That said, the drip pan between the bird and the flame will act as a heat shield, so you shouldn't have too much of an issue with the bird. It may be a good idea to rotate the bird after 45 minutes or so. But the flame directly under the pan will cause the water to boil off faster, so be sure to keep an eye on the water level.

Comment

Yep what Keith said. You should be ok. If you're making the gravy according to the Ultimate Turkey recipe, you want it to reduce down, just make sure like he said not too far. Also, don't trust the grill's lid thermometer. Please us e a good digital therm, you may be cooking 50* different than what it says, plus you're not cooking up on the lid you want to check the grate temp where the turkey sits..

Comment

Thanks to you both. I have the Maverick themometer, so I should be all set on that front. Keith - your point is consistent with what Meathead has written elsewhere (e.g., on a single burner gasser the bird would need to be over the flame); really appreciate you confirming.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here