Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying whole chickens then freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying whole chickens then freezing

At my local grocery store, I can buy whole chickens for $1.29 a pound (no antibiotics or hormones). Good deal. I want to buy a few of them and freeze them. Should I freeze them while in their original packaging? Or cut them up into their own pieces and Food Saver them and freeze them? Does it matter?

And would I just just put them into the fridge the previous day to defrost them? Will I lose any flavor or juiciness?

What are your methods?

I freeze them in their original packaging.

Comment

• Mick54
      Mick54 commented
      Editing a comment
      Freeze whole in original wrap. Thaw in fridge for 2-3 days, the day before cooking I brine the bird. This almost makes sure the bird is thawed. If using a roaster chicken may need more time

I raise my own poultry, we put them in shrink wrap bags like you see in the grocers. We freeze them whole in the bag. You'll want to put them in the refrigerator at least two days, or maybe three, to thaw. Better an extra day in the refrigerator than to still have a half frozen chicken on BBQ day. You won't lose flavour or juiciness. Now if you don't want to cook a whole chicken at once, you could cut them up and put what you want for a meal in vacuum bags. Otherwise just save time and bags and freeze whole.

Comment

If I am planning to roast the bird whole, I pull it out of the package, pull the giblets, and spatchcock it before I vac seal and freeze it. That saves a lot of thawing time when you want to cook it. And I would pull it out and defrost in fridge at least the day prior. If you are going to cut them up anyway, and want to save time when cooking time comes around, I would cut them up, vac seal and freeze. Then you could sous vide right from frozen, and finish them however you like. Freezing is always going to cause some moisture loss. But I think you will be okay.

Comment

Yes, exactly as above. I buy the and freeze them as is. If you ask the clerk the can get you some from the back and they are likely at 31° or so and mostly frozen. Then you toss them all into your freezer without a defrost and refreeze. Either way is fine. They say their never frozen but that's not really true. All the store have them right at frozen. Cut some up and freeze to have as well.

Comment

Thanks all! I think I'll spatchcock it and freeze it in the foodsaver bags.

Comment

I never freeze chickens. I never buy anymore than I'm going to eat within 2 or 3 days. I just want enough time to dry brine it and then grill it or BBQ it. I don't want to tie up freezer space for a real low cost per pound meat. I always cook extra chicken that I can use as leftovers to make tacos, enchiladas or fajitas in the next couple of days.

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              ditto

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Good plan!

I get my chickens from a farmer, who dresses them on Thurs. If I get there on a Thurs afternoon I could get one fresh, other wise he automatically freezes them in a bag ala ComfortablyNumb. He told me these things are so fresh & good you can't tell the difference. I believed him, he was right. Thaw as CyN stated. Cook a whole chicken, ya never know when an extra or two will stop by & left overs are delish in various ways. I get them for 3$ a lb, worth every penny. You try what I call a real chicken, store bought just doesn't quite make it, no matter how many "free this & no thats" are on the label.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              With you on that that, FireMan!

I ended up taking the easy way out and freezing the chicken whole because my 15 month old got sick this afternoon and I leave for Utah in the morning. I do appreciate all the comment. I figured I could do it multiple ways and y'all confirmed that!

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Hope the sickness was a 15 month old thing & nothing serious.

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              I think he'll be fine. Just uncomfortable with minor fever.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here