Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings Experiment was a success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings Experiment was a success

I was down in San Antonio checking on my parents and generally getting everything back upright in working order around their house a few weeks ago and thought I would fire up the smoker I bought my Dad. I figured I would play around with some wings as I had not really messed with them at all to this point in my BBQ learning "career". Here is what I did and I have reproduced it several times now and taught it to a few employees of mine who made them and said they were very very good! Give this a shot one day when you are putting around the house. it's brain dead simple and you don't have to hover over the smoker which I hate doing.

Ingredients list

I buy wings at Costco and they come in a six pack of vacuum sealed firsts and seconds. This recipe is for 3 of the packs.

1 bottle 1.5pint size Olive Garden brand Italian dressing - you can sub out but this is what I used
    1/4 cup Worcestershire or however you spell that word. I'm not even sure how to pronounce it.
    1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1/4-1/3 cup yellow mustard
    3 Tbs granulated garlic-or MORE...I am a garlic fanatic
    1-2 Tbs granulated white onion powder
    2 Tbs fresh cracked black Tellicherry pepper-sub at will with what you have on hand
    1 jar 16 oz dill pickle hamburger chips/slices
    2 packets Hidden Valley Ranch dressing powder

Combine in a 2 gallon ziplock bag or other plastic container and mix well-just dump the whole jar of pickles juice and all in there to make it easy on yourself

Drop the wings in there and mix around then try to get the air out of the bag so as to maintain good contact on the wings

I leave them in the fridge overnight but a few friends who couldn't wait just let it have 2 hours and I tasted those and they were just as good.

Remove from the marinade, shake off excess then apply your favorite rub thoroughly to the wings

Smoke at 225 over pecan or your favorite wood but make it a light flavor wood. I usually smoke them for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and I turn then once at the halfway point.

You can spray them a few times if you wish with a typical wash of 2 parts Apple juice to 1 part white wine vinegar. I usually add some Accent flavoring to my spray and a half bottle of imitation butter flavoring which sits next to the Vanilla liquid on the spice isle.

Now here is where you can play with the big finish.

Method 1 - at the last half hour mark, crank the heat on your smoker up to try to crisp up the wings

Method 2 - Pull the wings at the 2:15-2:30 mark, put them on a sheet tray and hit them under the broiler in your oven for the finish you like

Method 3 - This is the Bomb finish! Pull the wings at the 2:30 Mark. Set up a deep fryer at 350 with a light flavor oil. Deep fry the wings for about 90 seconds then remove and shake the oil off.

These wings are great naked or you can lightly sauce them prior to serving.

I just use Salt Lick BBQ sauce and cut it with a bit of vinegar. If I want more heat then I add some Louisiana brand hot sauce to the mix.

Give these a shot and let me know how it goes!

Joe

Thanks a ton!

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here