Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enter the Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    HorseDoctor has a great point. Treat wild duck or wild goose breast like a good steak. Somewhere I have an old (pre-internet) article about that. I will try to find it and post an update if pertinent. I used to hunt geese here in south Texas and tried it. It was delicious.

• Mike Nilsen
    commented on 's reply
    The skin on the legs was awesome. No special preparation required. The breasts still had a bit of fat under the skin, but that was delicious in its own right, though nowhere near as crispy as the legs. i munched on a wing because it was just all crispy skin, and not much good meat.

• HorseDoctor
    commented on 's reply
    Do NOT expect wild duck to even remotely resemble the taste (or fattiness) of domestic duck! As I said above: apples vs. oranges difference!!!
    Medium rare for wild duck unless you really like the taste of liver!

• JCGrill
    replied
    I like my duck medium rare, then crisp up the skin. Pretty much reverse sear. Having said that, those look pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    commented on 's reply
    Many thanks!! Love reading the site - thought I'd join the Pit!

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    For me, it was pheasant and shot. ;«)

• fowlsuds
    replied
    Those look great. I may have to try that next duck season. I generally just fillet out the breast and grill them wrapped in bacon.

Leave a comment:

• Sephon
    replied
    Dude. These look fantastic. Goose season starts here on 9/1. You've inspired me to try this with a Greater Canada Turd Bird.

Leave a comment:

• Sephon
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Buck! Welcome to the Pit from the NW PA.

• Buck Flicks
    replied
    I love Duck. I love H-Mart. One of my favorite things to get there is the marinated pork belly - it's great with some steamed rice and kimchi.

I also love Five Spice, but I can never find the right amount... a little bit goes a LONG way. I did make a pork tenderloin with a five-spice dry rub a couple weeks ago and think I finally found the right ratio.

How was the skin? The best part of duck is the crispy skin, which is pretty easy to obtain in a fried duck or a breast pan-roasted skin down in a screaming hot cast iron skillet then finished in the oven. I'm wondering if smoking it prevents the skin from becoming delicious bird bacon. But in general, smoked duck sounds delectable and I can't wait to try it.
    Last edited by Buck Flicks; July 7, 2017, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jgreen
    replied
    I would have been a bit nervous the way they came as well, but it looks like you really got the trimming and the cooking figured out nicely. Congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• HorseDoctor
    replied
    Great job!!! Love domestic duck! Wild duck, not as much. Apples & oranges different from each other. Good job saving the duck fat. Makes the best roast potatoes ever!!!

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Great write up indeed! I'm glad Daffy and Donald lost their head(s) and socks. Good call. Duck is one of my favorite meats, because of the flavor and duck fat. I haven't cooked a whole bird though, must try it soon. Nice photos!

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Awesome write up Mike Nilsen I'm not a huge duck person but your pics and write up are making me think about having duck. Excellent job brother.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Great job! If you try it again, duck LOVES MMD!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here