Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enter the Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enter the Duck

I'm cruising the asian grocery store looking for something awesome to smoke. They had all kinds of stuff, but in the end it was all just different cuts from the same old animals. Then this beauty caught my eye...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4248.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	341091

A whole duck you say? Well shoot...

Name:	IMG_4249.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	341089

I'll take two.

I've never made duck before, and I'm not used to seeing my food with so much "face" and "feet". #firstworldproblems.

Name:	IMG_4250.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	341086

I don't hunt, so I don't know what a naked bird should look like, but this is about as unattractive sight as they come.

Name:	IMG_4251.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	341088

Daffy and Donald lost their heads and their socks, and found themselves spatchcocked. Slits were made across the entire body, being careful not to cut the meat. I failed miserably and hit the breast really bad once. Didn't make any difference thankfully. One got salt n peppa, and the other got salt, pepper, and asian five spice I bought at said super market. It seemed appropriate.

The extra fat around both body cavities, as well as the skin from the trimmed spine/head was saved, rendered...

Name:	IMG_4252.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	341085

And used for potatoes and cracklin'. I'm not a cracklin' fan, but iffen I were, I'd eat the heck outta these. Alas, the dog gets her treats, and I get my fat.

Name:	IMG_4257.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	341092

Into the fridge overnight...

Name:	IMG_4265.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	341090

In the smoker at 3:43 @ 325 degrees. no drip pan...

Name:	IMG_4267.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	341087

An hour and a half later, I peeked and the birds looked awfully done. The probe read 170 in the thigh, so I yanked them.

These are the last known photos of Daffy and Donald. Both were devoured by three couples in a matter of minutes. I didn't even get a plate and ate at the cutting board. We could have fed one more person as we had many sides, but one duck per three people was about right for us. The five spice bird was amazing. The skin on the legs and thighs were bite through crisp. the breast still had about 1/8" layer of fat, which I think is acceptable for duck. The drums were the best meat in my opinion.

Tomorrow, duck omelets!

May the smoke be with you.

That's an awesome story. I'd like to try that soon. Good job!

Comment

What the Duck!!!!!!
      Those look Fantastic, Mike Nilsen !!!
      Seein' 'em in those Supermarket packages almost makes me ferget bitin' down on lead buckshot, alla my childhood, whilst enjoyin' some Duck.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        For me, it was pheasant and shot. ;«)

Looks very good to me.

Comment

Great job! If you try it again, duck LOVES MMD!

Comment

Awesome write up Mike Nilsen I'm not a huge duck person but your pics and write up are making me think about having duck. Excellent job brother.

Comment

Great write up indeed! I'm glad Daffy and Donald lost their head(s) and socks. Good call. Duck is one of my favorite meats, because of the flavor and duck fat. I haven't cooked a whole bird though, must try it soon. Nice photos!

Comment

Great job!!! Love domestic duck! Wild duck, not as much. Apples & oranges different from each other. Good job saving the duck fat. Makes the best roast potatoes ever!!!

Comment

I would have been a bit nervous the way they came as well, but it looks like you really got the trimming and the cooking figured out nicely. Congratulations.

Comment

I love Duck. I love H-Mart. One of my favorite things to get there is the marinated pork belly - it's great with some steamed rice and kimchi.

I also love Five Spice, but I can never find the right amount... a little bit goes a LONG way. I did make a pork tenderloin with a five-spice dry rub a couple weeks ago and think I finally found the right ratio.

How was the skin? The best part of duck is the crispy skin, which is pretty easy to obtain in a fried duck or a breast pan-roasted skin down in a screaming hot cast iron skillet then finished in the oven. I'm wondering if smoking it prevents the skin from becoming delicious bird bacon. But in general, smoked duck sounds delectable and I can't wait to try it.
                  Last edited by Buck Flicks; July 7, 2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Sephon
                    Sephon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Buck! Welcome to the Pit from the NW PA.

• Buck Flicks
                    Buck Flicks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Many thanks!! Love reading the site - thought I'd join the Pit!

• Mike Nilsen
                    Mike Nilsen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The skin on the legs was awesome. No special preparation required. The breasts still had a bit of fat under the skin, but that was delicious in its own right, though nowhere near as crispy as the legs. i munched on a wing because it was just all crispy skin, and not much good meat.

Dude. These look fantastic. Goose season starts here on 9/1. You've inspired me to try this with a Greater Canada Turd Bird.

Comment

Those look great. I may have to try that next duck season. I generally just fillet out the breast and grill them wrapped in bacon.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                      HorseDoctor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Do NOT expect wild duck to even remotely resemble the taste (or fattiness) of domestic duck! As I said above: apples vs. oranges difference!!!
                      Medium rare for wild duck unless you really like the taste of liver!

• gcdmd
                      gcdmd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      HorseDoctor has a great point. Treat wild duck or wild goose breast like a good steak. Somewhere I have an old (pre-internet) article about that. I will try to find it and post an update if pertinent. I used to hunt geese here in south Texas and tried it. It was delicious.

I like my duck medium rare, then crisp up the skin. Pretty much reverse sear. Having said that, those look pretty good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here