Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skinless turkey breast with deep fried crackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skinless turkey breast with deep fried crackle

Looking to cook up a 3.8kg Turkey buffet (no dark meat) on Sunday for a few peoples coming in.

Have had real success in the past with skinless chicken breasts, cooked low and slow indirect on my Primo, then direct hot sear, basting with Buxom. Nice pink ring, beautifully seared outside, and very juicy.

Last time i did turkey buffet, I deboned it, and cooked as separate breasts (chucked the tenders on a bit later), with buxom and a sear, and came out v nice, although skin wasn't that crispy (funny that Holmes, when u use a marinade and low & slow - so wrong, as i've found out later from this site!).

I'm wondering about deboning again this time, removing the skin, cooking low&slow and direct sear, with Buxom, as I would with chicken breast. Thinking I might try deep-frying the skin in strips as cracklings.

Comments on marinated skin-off turkey breast cooked low & slow then direct sear, versus cooked at higher temp, skin-on, with rub?
    Anyone tried deep-fried turkey skin as crackle?

3.8 KG so that's about 10lbs. Is this just one large breast? Is so, dry brine for 2 days and cook indirect at 325°F bone in or off it's up to you but you can get season to the underside if you go boneless. When you pull it, don't cover it. Slice in about 5-10 min and skin should still be crisp. If younfry the skin then you can wet brine or marinade should you choose. I always decide on skin use first then figure the rest.

Always start with "how will this be used." Then decide the rest.

i hope this helps. I love be the birds. Take pics...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here