Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoder Pellet grill Ultimate turkey question: practice run Saturday AM 11/22/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoder Pellet grill Ultimate turkey question: practice run Saturday AM 11/22/14

OK I have a Yoder 640 and the questions are:

1. deflector plate y/n?
    ** If deflector plate there is no room for even a shallow gravy pan underneath. If no deflector I can put the gravy pan right on the bottom of the grill but I am concerned about ashes making their way into the gravy. At the end of a long brisket cook at 225 I have a thin layer of grease/ashes on the bottom. Guessing 14 hours at 225F generates more than 3 hours at 325 but still...

2. The instruction schedule/timeline has me taking the gravy out before the bird. I think you'd have to move the bird off the grills to get a big pan of gravy out. Was this meant for a different smoker?

Thanks in advance. I feel really comfortable with cows and pigs but if I screw this one up my wife goes back to cooking it her way and I lose major face....

PS, the pre-practice muffings were a hit.

I'm not familiar with the Y640 so I'm going to ask for Max's input. If you end up being space constrained my vote would be skip the gravy. It's awesome but no one wants to eat ashes (my experience anyway lol).

Comment

Just wondering...

Do you not have the second, slide-out shelf for your 640? If you do, why not spatchcock the bird, put it on the top shelf and put the drip pan beneath it on the main grate? If you don't, now would be a really good time.

For a low-n-slow, you're definitely going to want the heat diffuser in place, ash issue notwithstanding.

Comment

Leave the deflector plate in. Remove one grate. Set the gravy pan right on the deflector plate. The slight angle will not be a problem. Put the grate on top of the gravy pan and start smokin'!
        Last edited by Max Good; November 21, 2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Ozric. I do have the upper shelf but there is not enough clearance for a bird to sit on top of that shelf. In fact I probably will have to take it off when I do the big bird.

Max's suggestion involves a geometry where the gravy pan is not directly below the bird. Since the "practice" turkey is only 14 pounds I can leave the top shelf on and put the gravy pan up on top of it. I will experiment with that or just putting it on the grates and behind the bird.

I suppose mentally I have the gravy pan beneath the bird based on seeing other arrangements.

Comment

• Ozric
            Ozric commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm so used to cooking for one, that it's difficult for me to visualize a spatchcocked bird that wouldn't fit on the upper bunk. I can get a week's worth of pooter up there. Sorry for the poor pre-viz. You've got a couple of good choices. rnieman's below is another great use for firebricks!

I have a YS640 as well and your situation has me thinking because I will attempt the same thing. I would try taking the second shelf and rest it on a few fire bricks which should elevate it enough to get an aluminum pan underneath. The YS60 should still be big enough to house a good size Turkey!

Comment

• Ozric
            Ozric commented
            Editing a comment
            Now there's a clever alternative!

Nice tip rnieman. When you have a second please check out Huskee's homework assignment for new members.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          When you get a minute check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature (tip #1) with your equipment. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of your equipment and your cooks.
          And welcome to The Pit! We're glad you're here.

Comment

I guess I have been looking at that 26 pounder my wife bought---thawing in the fridge it occupies a lot of space. Even spathcocked the 14 pounder doesn't take up that much room given the generous dimensions of the 640. I have room behind the bird on the grills for the gravy. I am just going to give up on a "catch the drippings" concept for today and see how it turns out. Pics to come.

Comment

I have a Rec Tec and have had problems with a drip/gravy pan. Being a pellet grill it operates similar to the Yoder. I think it messes up the heat and I have not been happy with my results. I am going to try another turkey tomorrow and will follow MH's recipe with the exception of the drip pan and see how it does.

Comment

I have to crank the grill up to 400 to see 325 on the top shelf. I have a lot of experience with it at 225 and with the diffuser out, grill grates on and 600. I am still learning the in between stuff

Comment

And each brand is different and takes a custom variation for each brand and some models.

Comment

Bird turned out GREAT. i can't say I liked the muffings and dressing as wll as my wife's cornbread stuffing. Old southern tradition. The thin gravy was also fine but I am pretty sure we will go back to my wife's gravy as well. BUT SPATHCOCKING AND SMOKING ARE HERE TO STAY

Comment

SO my plan is to spatchcock the 26 pounder and cook it on the lower grills. It is a big bird so I am thinking about rotating it 90 degrees to the typical plan and maybe doing a rotation mid-cook to make it all even.

Comment

Originally posted by fracmeister View Post
                        Bird turned out GREAT. i can't say I liked the muffings and dressing as wll as my wife's cornbread stuffing. Old southern tradition. The thin gravy was also fine but I am pretty sure we will go back to my wife's gravy as well. BUT SPATHCOCKING AND SMOKING ARE HERE TO STAY

No pics? =(

Comment

Glad your Bird turned out well. I will be cooking a 12 lb'r tomorrow and see how it does.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here