Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock Chicken Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suggest just dry brining the bird for a couple of days then cooking to 150. Pull and let rest to 160. Add any more seasoning after the cook.

Comment

• SMO
      SMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Fresh turkey. Dry brine three days in the fridge. Cooked to 160 in the breast, pulled about 150. Dark meat closer to heat source to get higher temp. Entire bird was dripping in juice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20161124_112304882.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	330197 here is the pic

Comment

Ditto on the dry brine. Stopped doing wet brine BAR, about 4 yrs ago. Maririnades I do for maybe an hour per Meathead's suggestion. Ditto on the higher heat & pulling it when breasts hit 155.

Comment

Do the dry brine for sure. I crank the heat about as high as it will go, so it's more of a roasted chicken then grilled. Last time I checked, my kettle was peaking at around 475 before I dialed it back so as to not damage the probes. Spatchcock chickens can take really high heat. If you want to try a good one, look up Jonathan Waxman's recipe for roasted chicken with salsa verde.

Comment

Appreciate all the advice guys, many thanks. It's winter here in the deep south of New Zealand so the grills won't be fired up until at least Sept/Oct.

Comment

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. How cold does it get in south NZ? I cook until the teens (F) here in Wisconsin & there are plenty of members north of me who cook in winter as in the great white north, Fargo, Saskatchewan, Alberta, & British Columbia. Dust those babys off & fight through it & enjoy!

Comment

• nickgutnick
              nickgutnick commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen, I'm in Wisconsin too, my grills/smokers never get put away.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here