Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First turkey breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First turkey breast

OK. A newbie question. I want to smoke my first turkey breast soon (5 lbs). Most reccomendations that I have seen have
    been to smoke at 250 for a couple of hours, pull and wrap in foil, and smoke on until IT reaches 165...about 3 hours total. Sounds good, but can we go to 165 without wrapping? I figure it wll probably take about 5-6 hours, but that's not a problem. Also, should I brine it at all (Wet or dry)? And do I need to tent with foil at all?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

Just me speaking. Poultry does not lend itself well to low in slow in this house. Hot and fast. 325-350+ish. Crispy skin. Just did a 6.5 pound roaster in a tad over an hour.

Been a long time since I did any brine. But I have on occasion dunked a bird. Usually I just let the bird sit in the ice box and dry out over night, again, to promote that crispy skin. Wet skin, very bad. Dry skin good.

I tent when I get the smoke and the color I want. Nothing more. I tent very loosely to stop the browning and cook under loose foil until done so I don't have a burnt bird. Very easy to burn a bird!

This is when I tent. Just posted this pic in another thread, but it applies here as well.

Again my friend, welcome!! Post up some pics too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009 2.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	328130

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      lonnie mac , you use hotdogs for a tent?! LoL!!!

Welcome aboard (and thanks to lonnie mac for typing the perfect response so I didn't need to poke at this iPhone for the next hour 😎) ...

Comment

Welcome! What kind of smoker / grill? I agree with Lonnie, but if you are using a pellet smoker and want some smoke flavor I'm not sure if it will get you there on its own. I usually do my bird on charcoal.

Comment

Your original plan sound similar to how Aaron Franklin does turkey breast at his Austin BBQ place. It's a popular item for him. He does start with skinless turkey breast, cooks at 275 and wraps with a bunch of butter. Also dips in butter when serving. I've done that with wild turkey breast and it's pretty good!

Comment

if it's skinless i would not go above 275. i did that with turkey breast once and it came out with the outer later of flesh like cow hide.

Comment

Usually I make a decision on the skin first, then decide how to cook it. Example. For thin slices on a sandwich. I like a brined bird, cook with the skin on @225 and a little applewood. I pull it at 160 and let it rest up. I discard the skin and slice thin for sammies about 15 minutes later..

Lonnie pretty much nailed it though. Nothing wrong with heat and crispy skin either. Slice that bad boy a little thick and have with mash and gravy. Yum. It's all about preferences and what you use it for. Just don't dry it out and your golden. Turkey is delicious. Wow, butter wrapped and dipped. Hmmm.....

Huntington Beach welcomes you sir!

Comment

I just smoked a my first turkey breast following Aaron Franklin's method outlined in his book "Franklin Barbecue" which is to smoke 2 1/2 to 3 hours then pull, wrap tight with butter, and place back into smoker for about another hour until internal temp reaches 160 F. I used mesquite wood, left the skin on, used a black pepper and kosher salt rub (2 to 1 ration), and only used 1/4 stick of butter instead of one cup he suggested. It turned out perfect! I will definitely be smoking turkey again. Good luck!

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds amazing!!! wheres the pics? Welcome from Huntington Beach.

rdseafood How did it come out? im starving.

Comment

Welcome rdseafood

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here