Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Leg Quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Leg Quarters

Any ideas on a good recipe for quarters cooked on a large gas cooker. I am cooking around 60 quarters.

Are you looking for a rub or a sauce? A rub will allow you to get crispy skin while a sauce will not. I prefer a rub such as Simon and Garfunkel so that I can have crisp skin.

And welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome! I also like S&G or salt/pepper/garlic powder/Herbs de Provence.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Crispy skin is where it's at. Dry brine, then either S&G rub for savory chicken, or MMD for more BBQ flavor. Serve sauce of your choice on the side.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Oil, salt, & pepper then dunk them in some Alabama white sauce when done.

Comment

• coachblitz
            coachblitz commented
            Editing a comment
            I have done the Alabama sauce before and I love it. When you say OIL, what kind of oil? Is it to get the chicken a little more crispy, I assume?

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            What I'd do is lift the skin off the meat without making it separate completely, rub some oil between the two, then use a rub on the outside. If the thighs had time to sit in the open in the fridge with salt on them for a day, all the better.

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            coachblitz , sometimes i use oil sometimes i don't... EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) is typically what I use if I do.

All of the above are excellent ideas. I use MMD or Weber KC BBQ rub when I want more of a "bbq" flavor; I go with S&G or Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb rub any other time. Not a big sauce guy, as you can tell.

Comment

Gas cooker as in grill, or gas fired smoker? I've had good luck doing chicken in a good sized gas vertical smoker. Just needed to shuffle quite a bit, with the uneven temperatures. Raw chicken on direct heat is tough. Really tough. Pretty much constant flipping. It's an easy path to burned on the outside, raw in the middle. If you can set up for indirect, that's great, but ...

Warning! Sacrilege alert!

I have done large quantities of chicken on a gas grill by par-boiling first. Well, not exactly boiling, but hot enough to cook the chicken. Wasn't as juicy good or as crispy skin as straight indirect, but still really good for grilled chicken. This was with legs & thighs. I wouldn't try it with breasts. Brined, wet or dry, first. Big pot, near full of chicken parts, just enough water to cover / circulate. Moderate salt just for equilibrium, and a whole bunch of pickling spice mix. Bring up to near boil, 190-ish, hold there, turn off. Idea is to get internal temp just to 165. Fish out chicken or drain off, cool / chill. Grill with rub / mop / sauce of choice to get to internal finish temperature you like.

Came out pretty well, so I guess it was a standoff with the terrorists.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Not too different from the start of the Chinese method for "very crispy skin chicken".

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think that you're okay. It was the ribs that you're not supposed to boil. 😎😜

Although this is my first POST ever I have been cooking for decades and found this site a few years ago. Since that time, everyone I have cooked for, using what I have learned here, has raved about it. I love this site!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to hear from you!! Don't be a stranger!

Cornell chicken recipe from this site is out of this world!
            http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...l_chicken.html

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I had not seen this recipe, Thunder77 . Thanks for posting the link. It sounds delicious.

Kathryn

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              You're very welcome Kathryn! It is very tasty. I bet that it will be even better in the PBC! 😎

Welcome coachblitz

I like to marinade them overnight in Zesty Italian dressing and then sprinkle some Cajun rub on them right before going in the smoker. Do them hot & fast with pit temp at 325/350 till the IT temp reaches 180/185.....ENJOY!

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
              Welcome coachblitz

I like to marinade them overnight in Zesty Italian dressing and then sprinkle some Cajun rub on them right before going in the smoker. Do them hot & fast with pit temp at 325/350 till the IT temp reaches 180/185.....ENJOY!
              how long does it usually take for them to get to 185 ? What smoker are you using ? I have a MeadowCreek BX50 and have a hard time getttin it up to 300 most times. It loves 250 -275

Comment

In my opinion, you can't beat this recipe from Meathead and Bob Gibson. UNREAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                  In my opinion, you can't beat this recipe from Meathead and Bob Gibson. UNREAL!
                  I did the white sauce a few weeks ago and it didnt come out well. it was super runny. im sure i did something wrong. I had a little bit of bourbon in my belly !

Im doing quarters for a July 4th party today. Is there a way to cook them ahead of time and wrap them in foil do that Faux Cambro thing with chicken ? Id like to be able to get to the party then take them out and flash them on my gasser to crisp up and sauce. any ideas would be apprecitated

Comment

• vandy
                    vandy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The skin tends to turn to rubber when cambro'd but it should stay hot for several hours. I have never tried to crisp the skin when taking it out of the cambro but it should work. Let us know how it works out I would be interested in your findings.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here