Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capon & First Cook On Kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capon & First Cook On Kamado

I finally took out this 7-8 pound capon from my freezer. Turns out it's been in there for 4.5 years!!!! It does smell a bit like freezer so, what do you all think? Should I cook it?
    If so, how do I prepare it, what temp and for about how long? Also, this is my very first cook on my new Kamado.
    Thanks to all!

If you don't care too much about it being smoked, you can try this method, which I use with larger birds (eg turkey). This is for a whole bird - you might get some mileage out of spatchcocking it, given the size. I salt inside and out at least an hour ahead, then pepper before putting the bird in. Another thing that works for helping to crisp the skin is use your hand to separate the breast skin from the meat (but don't break it or remove it - make a pocket on each side). Rub some olive oil in there, and if you want , some herbs or rub. But don't put anything moist in there.

I start the kamado to 450 or so, drop in some wood pieces or twigs (typically not much because the wife likes it light). Setup would be a deflector down low with a drip pan (no water) then the grid above. Put on the bird, then throttle the cooker down, aiming for 325. Then just let her go until you hit 160 or so in the breast, 180 or so at the thickest part of the thigh. Let it rest a small while. Yum!

If you spatchcock, not likely to go more than a couple of hours - start checking after an hour or so to gauge your speed. Whole, figure a good half hour longer.
    Last edited by EdF; May 21, 2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks EdF! Now I'm starving. Kinda takes the fun out of that pop tart I just ate!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry Man, that got me so into anticipation of this afternoon's chicken that I went and cracked my first beer!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here