Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Breast

Hey Guys & Gals,

So this year I'm taking orders for smoke turkeys for my friends this year for Thanksgiving and for the most it's easier a a whole turkey or bone in Turkey breast. I have one friend who requested a boneless Turkey Breast a 3lb to 4lb. I worry that for one it's going to dry out quickly because of the size. Has anyone cooked a Boneless Turkey Breast this small? All should I just try to convince him to let me do a larger bone in Turkey Breast?

All thoughts and opinions welcomed!

Thanks,

Cam

Hey Cam... the only Turkey breasts I have cooked had bones in them... I recommend them though. I do them on my pellet grill... make sure there is some moisture and inject them with butter/garlic. Cook low and slow and they come out awesome.

Comment

Might I suggest doing it the reverse sear way? I have done boneless skinless chicken breasts that way, and they turned out very juicy. 225-250, until just under safe eating temp of 165, so say 155-160, then hit them over the high heat, watching for flareups so as not to burn the skin, just crisp it. Take it to 165 IT no higher. Many folks, including Pit Boss, recommend in injection with turkey breasts since they're so thick and fat free they can be dry & tasteless.

Never done it w/ turkey breast, so it's an educated guess.

Comment

I agree with Huskee 100% on this one. Low n' slow, then sear. I prefer to inject them also with butter, but it's not necessary.

I have cooked boneless turkey breasts many times, and the easiest way to cook them is to treat them exactly like your sirloin or tenderloin steak. Apply a good rub, and reverse sear.
        Last edited by Henrik; November 15, 2014, 07:14 AM. Reason: Added details.

Comment

• Ozric
          Ozric commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Huskee and Henrik. And Cam for asking. I have (well, had) the exact same question, but from the opposite side. I'm only cooking for myself.

I can't justify a whole turkey, even a small one. It would take me too long to eat it all, and I hate waste. On the other hand, this year I want something a little more than a "personal turkey" (for you sticklers for details out there, that's a Cornish game hen, my go-to for Thanksgivings past).

One of the worst things in the world to try to eat is a turkey sammie where the turkey is drier than the bread. Gag.

I'm feeling good enough about this now to go for it. Been a long time since I've had turkey I smoked myself. Sad to say, I miss it. But I'm really looking forward to a more traditional Thanksgiving this year.

I'll use the 2 grill method for it (convenient, since I have 2 Webers and 2 of Thunderdome's Vortexes). Low-n-slow at 225°, using a charcoal snake around an inverted Vortex, then seared over a Vortex hot-direct. I'll photograph the cook and post it.

Once again, thanks to all involved. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving this year!

• cdnichol
          cdnichol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Ozric,

Glad we we both able to get something out this and I appreciate all the helpful responses from everyone. I've joined alot of BBQ Forums and this one by far is worth the cost! Everyone is laid back and helpful and not all judgmental... outside of those few occasions when bacon is not involved LMAO!!!

Quick question for you Ozric... How do you smoke your Cornish hens? What temps are you shooting for? This Christmas I plan to smoke some and I was thinking 300 to 325 since they are very small and I would like a little crisp on the skin. My worries about cooking them any lower would be drying them out by time they get to temperature.

Thanks,

Cam

• Ozric
          Ozric commented
          Editing a comment
          I spatchcock them and cook them hot-indirect, like wings and drummies. If I want smoke, I cold-smoke them first for 60-90 minutes with an A-Maze-N tube (I've got lots of different flavorwood pellets from BBQr's Delight). Temps same as pooter...160°F in the breast, 170°F in the thigh.
          Last edited by Ozric; November 18, 2014, 11:05 AM.

When you guys talk about injecting with butter, other than some spices are we talking straight butter melted or are you thinning with anything? What kind of ratio of butter to turkey (let's say tablespoons to pounds) are you using? I've only smoked turkey once, in my gas GOSM, early in my history and it was too unevenly cooked. But with all this talk, I picked up a fresh turkey breast today and want to give it a try.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I use straight/classic butter, and melt it, then let it cool off. I know you can buy butter in a squeeze bottle, or margarine, and lots of other variations, but I really want the real deal here. I can't say how much I use, but I inject 5-6 times in the breasts, 3-4 times in the thighs, and wherever I can elsewhere. I don't add any spices, but it sounds like a good idea, may have to try that sometime.

I used just unsalted butter when injecting but you can mix your favorite rub or seasoning with the butter if you like. Just make sure it dissolves in the butter real good. I just inject in 4-5 different locations in each breast.

Comment

Originally posted by cdnichol View Post
          Hey Guys & Gals,

So this year I'm taking orders for smoke turkeys for my friends this year for Thanksgiving and for the most it's easier a a whole turkey or bone in Turkey breast. I have one friend who requested a boneless Turkey Breast a 3lb to 4lb. I worry that for one it's going to dry out quickly because of the size. Has anyone cooked a Boneless Turkey Breast this small? All should I just try to convince him to let me do a larger bone in Turkey Breast?

All thoughts and opinions welcomed!

Thanks,

Cam

I smoked a 5lb boneless Turkey Breast for a small crowd last year and I have to say it was the best turkey I ever ate. My family wouldn't shut up about how good it was. I attribute the exceptional results to Dry Brining, Butter Injection, and cooking on the PBC. I just threw it in and let the PBC do its thing until the meat hit 160F.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here