Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Turkey Recipe Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate Turkey Recipe Change?

Yesterday I did a practice run and it turned out amazing. So juicy. I'm planning on making another one tomorrow for a group of friends and was reading over the instructions again. Did the placing the orange peel, onion, thyme/sage sprig, and garlic into the cavity step get removed yesterday? I noticed that the page was revised yesterday, number (3) in the overview explains that stuffing the cavity with these doesn't add enough to override the blocking of the airflow, and these ingredients were removed from the "Turkey ingredients". However, in the Let's Cook That Bird section it still says to add these in the cavity in step (4).

I just want to make sure this was removed from the process as I'm going to the store later today to get ingredients for the meal (don't worry, got the turkey already thawing), and I like to follow these instructions exactly until I get a better feel to add my own wrinkle if I feel like it.

Good question. I forwarded this to MH.

Comment

Yes I remember reading that too but did not put it together at the time. I had a 12 lb turkey on my test run and I was worried that the little I got in the cavity would stop the air flow.

Comment

I would just as soon leave the cavity free and clear. But I ain't the expert.

Comment

It does appear to be changed. I think it is for the better. Thinking back to my first cook, last week, I think the ingredients in the cavity contributed to a lack of air flow that caused some undercooking.

Comment

I had the same question here. Any response from Meathead?

Comment

The recipe was changed to keep the cavity free and clear for better airflow. If you see any references to the orange peel, onion, thyme/sage sprig, and garlic being added to the cavity that's an error that needs to get edited out.

Comment

Thanks, boss

Comment

With my Spatchcock turkey...no airflow problems!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PaulstheRibList View Post
                    With my Spatchcock turkey...no airflow problems!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	104
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	34964

Nice! I've got to get this badge out more often. I know I've missed several good cooks lately. This one is killer!

Comment

Beautiful... truly a thing of beauty!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here