Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked two turkey breasts yesterday, and here's how they turned out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked two turkey breasts yesterday, and here's how they turned out

Here they are, boneless and skinless. One on the left is just salt and pepper; one on the right is Rudy's Turkey Rub (Rudy's BBQ is a place out of Austin). Notice how the rub is heavy in some places and almost nonexistent in others? Yep, I'm a true amateur.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3119.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	304814

Put the rub on both of them about 7 hours before the cook and kept in the fridge. I've done a brisket and a turkey breast before this one, and I could never keep the temperature down. Always had to close all three vents on my WSM 18.5 to keep the temp below 270 (even with an almost full water pan). With so little oxygen, my wood chunks never had a chance to properly ignite, so I never had a good "smokey" taste on my food. This time, I wanted to use as little fuel as possible, so here's what my setup looked like...

Name:	IMG_3113.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	304816

Used Stubb's briquettes and, from left to right, three hickory and two oak chunks. Put about 10 briquettes in the chimney starter, and dumped the lit coals next to the left side of the fuse. During the entire cook, I had all three vents open 100% but the cooker could never get above 210 degrees (I wanted to cook them in the 225-250 range). On the plus side, turkey breasts cook relatively fast anyway, so 2 hours later when the turkey hit 140 degrees, I brought them in, put a stick of butter on them, foiled, and then put in the oven at 225 until the internal temp hit 160 (probably 30 minutes later). Then I let them rest for about 45 minutes as the temp came down to 140. And here's what we got...

Name:	IMG_3124.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	304818
    Wasn't as juicy as I would've wanted, but it still tasted great with good smoke flavor. Put them in between two slices of white bread with some pickles and BBQ sauce and went to town.

And here's what happened with all the charcoals. As you can see, only about two-thirds of the coals got lit.

Name:	IMG_3122.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	304819

So, for next time (and briskets going forward), if I want to keep the temp between 225-250 (which I couldn't do this time), what do you suggest? Pile the charcoal higher so more get lit? Don't fill the water pan? Other suggestions/thoughts for better cooks in the future? Thanks!
    Attached Files

They look good to me. You might try pulling them a bit early because the temp will continue to rise after you pull them. That should help the moistness.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, will do that next time. Just had leftovers today, which made me remember that I had wished the inside of the meat was a little more seasoned. Should I do a wet brine next time, or is a dry brine just as effective?

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoking77 only way to get flavor inside the meat other than the salt would be a injection

Smoking77, Maybe Next Time You Should Leave the Skin On❓ I think Most Here Cook their Turkey, Chicken and other Poultry @ 325* F or Higher❓
    Check the Recipe Section of AmazingRibs.Com for Recomended Temps!
    I Prefer to Dry Brine Over Night in the Refrigerator with Coarse Kosher Salt and Garlic Powder!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Smokind77, I Just Reread My Post, I sound Like a Country Preacher❓. Must Be The Season❓
      🐣.🐣 Happy Easter to You and Yours! 🐣 🐣
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not at all Danjohnston949 ! Although, I'd listen to a BBQ sermon anytime!

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do hot and fast, skin on with chicken. But I like low and slow skin off turkey breast. I guess that's what I always saw in Austin, so it followed me to LA.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here