Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie Chicken Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie Chicken Questions

I have a Weber charcoal rotisserie device. I have not used it in a very long time in favor of spatchcocking. My wife said she wants rotisserie chicken tonight. I compromised, so we're having rotisserie chicken...

That being said, my cooking has evolved to better and more scientific techniques since I last used the rotisserie for chicken. (maybe 3 years ago)

I am wondering is my old method still sound or should I update? I used to put the charcoal on both sides of the grill using the Weber charcoal baskets and a drip pan in the middle.

Should I now put the charcoal on one side? Should i use the SnS? Does it even matter? Any and all thought's and ideas are most welcome. fzxdoc and of course anyone else.

Thanks in advance, Troy

put the charcoal on both sides of the grill using the Weber charcoal baskets and a drip pan in the middle.
    That's what I'd do.
    Love how yer compromise worked out, amigo!
    Smoke On, troymeister !!!

Comment

I have used both the Weber charcoal baskets and the SnS. There isn't any difference in the finished chicken as far as I can tell. If you use the baskets, just move them far enough away from the chicken that no drippings fall on the coals and flair up. When I use the SnS I add a piece of foil to keep drippings off the coals.
      There's no way to control airflow with the rotisserie, so I just let her rip when spinnin' a bird.

BTW - it seems to me that the chix retains a little more moistness when it spins.

BTW # 2 - Spinnin' is a great way to cook a turkey too - been doing that for many years, and my MIL sez it's the best turkey she has ever had, (and she's 89 ).

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        This is solid advise. Take note.

Let us know what happens, troymeister. I'd go with the two baskets, one on each side of the rotisserie setup if, as RonB says, you don't have drippings on those coals to cause flareups.

Are you going to put some veggies in a pan under the bird to catch those drippings and cook along with the chicken?

I'm salivating already. Have a great cook!

Kathryn

Comment

When I rotisserie a bird on my Hasty-Bake, I do it over a bed of coals and let the drippings flare. Gotta be careful to not run the coals too close to the bird. Since you can't raise/lower your coals like I can, you probably want to use your coal baskets off to the side. Otherwise, you may have a flaming chicken! ;-)

Comment

Thanks all for the great advice. I will go with the 2 basket method.

Comment

This all reminds me. I have a brand new Weber rotisserie still in a box from 10 years ago. I forgot I even owned it! Time to break the thing out.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              "Spinnin' the yardbird, spinnin' the yardbird..."
              Cain't wait to see th' pics, Brotha lonnie mac !

Mr. Bonesfzxdoc RonB My chicken turned out near perfect. Dry brined the day before. Seasoned with a little Weber's Kickin' Chicken, Trader Joe's Coffee and Garlic rub and some S&G. Basted with melted butter half way through. The breast read 165 and the thighs read 179...Was totally juicy. Guests said best ever The skin could have been crispier but I think it is near impossible to get crispy skin from a juicy bird on a rotisserie. Pics are on "Show Us What Your Cooking."

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              This thread has popped back up and I just reread the whole thing. Butter is about 15% water, so if you baste with butter, it may not get as crisp as you'd like. If you want to baste with butter, boil the water off first.

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Thanks for the update, troymeister . I'm heading over to the "Show us what you're cooking" topic now to take a gander at the results. I know its going to make me hungry to see those photos.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by lonnie mac View Post
                This all reminds me. I have a brand new Weber rotisserie still in a box from 10 years ago. I forgot I even owned it! Time to break the thing out.
                Me too! That is exactly why I'm reading this thread. I have a Weber gas grill. Thought I'd brine two whole chickens, season, cook'em over indirect for a while. Also planning on putting a drip pan underneath, with red potatoes, mushrooms, etc.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Congratulations. I was contemplating a rotisserie for this very reason. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here