Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Wings on the Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Wings on the Weber

Done up a batch of chicken wings on the Weber this evening. They were so good. Marinated then added some rub I use. Nothing left but the bones

Going on with a chunk of pecan

Click image for larger version

Name:	cw1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	28297

Almost there

Name:	cw3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	28296

Done and ready to eat

Name:	cw4.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	28298
    Attached Files

Sweet set up!!!

"Boy I sure could use some chicken wings, are you sure the kitchen is closed?"

"Let me check (never leaves the table), yeh it's closed."

Richard (David Spade) gives a "ooooooh," look.

Comment

Very nice, I like that rig as well.

Comment

Yeah that is a good setup but I have to be honest that is not enough wings for me. LOL

Comment

Thanks fellas , that thing does fine on chicken. Also with coals right up to the grate, an awesome thing for a reverse sear on a steak. And Guy I can probably fit around 35 pieces with that setup if that will fill you up lol

Comment

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Deuce!

I did wings last nite with the Vortex. 1st time ever and they came out awesome. I actually purchased the V over the Smokenator based on the photos that I saw for chicken wings.

BTW, Smokenator back on wishlist. Want to be able to do a Turkey and utilize the space it creates within the grate.

--Ed

I like it, is that a Vortex?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            I like it, is that a Vortex?
            Yeah John it's a Vortex. Definitely a useful add on for a Weber kettle.

Comment

Beautiful! That Vortex looks like a nice setup. How does it work for maintaining 225F and 325F around the perimeter?

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi David,

I use a Vortex and have done dry runs @ 225 & 325. If you can search topics by "Medusa" you should be able to see the posts with all of the info I recorded using Meathead's Cooking Log. I did a ham @ 225, but haven't cooked @ 325. ( I plan on doing a pork loin soon )

Short & Sweet: Ran a 2 wide x 3 high fuse (Vortex centered / Wide end up ) over half the kettle for 3 hr 58 min. Ran a little hot ( 340's) but I would assume that using a water pan would help keep things closer to 325.

HTH, --Ed

--Ed

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
              Beautiful! That Vortex looks like a nice setup. How does it work for maintaining 225F and 325F around the perimeter?
              Thanks Dave. I haven't tried it at 325 yet. For 225-235 range it does well like any snake setup but with the added benefit that it blocks some of the direct heat from the meat with the high sides. Still not a lot of room on a 22.5 for a big brisket but can handle butts and chucks easily.

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                2x2 Fuse around Vortex over 1/2 kettle worked well for ham. Agree about big brisket, and agree (based on what I've seen) that any meat (butt, chuck, etc. ) that can be centered over the V would cook very well.

--Ed

Ok what is a Vortex???

Comment

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I just posted a question about the Vortex.

Comment

Hi All,

I've posted a few comments and info about the Vortex. Good addition to Weber 22.5 IMHO. Tomorrow I will do the dreaded pork loin @ 325 with the V.

I did wings last nite with the V (50 briqs, narrow end up). Settled on using a Cook's Country salt brine for 30 minutes and a dusting of cornstarch ( prevents sticking to grate ), black pepper and cayenne.

Cooked both wings and drummies around the V. 1st 10 minutes @ 433 degrees steady, last 10 between 376 - 405. Wings finished @ 182, drummies around 180. CC says that collagen begins to break down around 170+, OK to cook to 180 because of brine.

Skin not as crispy as I would've liked, but wings melted in mouth. #1 says do not change anything. No sleeping on couch unless I screw up pork loin

Best,

--Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here