Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken wing ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken wing ideas?

Tomorrow I'll be smoking 6lbs of chicken wings (about 20 wings & tips, fairly large ones). I'm thinking of doing half in the traditional buffalo sauce since I love that. My kids don't care for spicy so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to do with the other 3lbs. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5742.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	28190

I love wings.

This sounds a bit odd but I do this for the GF a lot.

Salt

Cinnamon
    Ginger

Sometimes a touch of white sugar.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 29, 2014, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      I love wings.

This sounds a bit odd but I do this for the GF a lot.

Salt

Cinnamon
      Ginger
      So you dry brine, then just sprinkle on unsweetened cinnamon (I assume) and ginger as you would any seasoning? Heavy? Light?

Comment

Light, cinnamon comes thru strong. Just like another seasoning sprinkle on. I dont per mix them so I dont have a good ratio. just light on both.

No dry brine but I do think it would be better if I did dry brine. Its normally a spur of the moment thing.

Comment

MH's kalbi marinade is great on wings http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...beef_ribs.html

Comment

Try this sauce apply when wings are done, dunk em and back on for quick caramelization. Ingredients are estimates.
            • 1/3 cup maple syrup
            • 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
            • 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
            • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
            • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
            • Harissa sauce or any hot sauce or skip if cooking for kids

Comment

Last wings i made i hit them with slap yo mama and thats it. They were good

Comment

It must be wing day, I'm doing some also. I'm just using something I have on hand that we love on shrimp, some Island wood fire grill marinade from Grill Mates. Will definitely be trying the sauce by Ernest next time with some srirachi.

Comment

I've done them with Sriracha, works perfectly.

Comment

Try soaking them for 2-6 hours in a simple marinade made with Italian dressing (that oily kind you buy in a clear plastic bottle) with a 1/4 cup of hot sauce. Marinade + wings + zip lock. Works great with thighs too. I love these when cooked on indirect heat on a charcoal grill. We do them this way at our hunt camp and they have a lot of flavor, but are mild enough for kids!
                    Last edited by Beefchop; October 29, 2014, 05:57 PM. Reason: PS I I just put them in a large zip lock with the marinade in my fridge.

Comment

I think Huli-Huli sauce would make great wings - they're on my list.

Comment

Fish and Fowl rub from Everglades is great. Did some last night. Just coat them and smoke in orange wood.

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the tip Halldawg! I need to pick up some orange wood, it's one of the few left I haven't tried out.

When you get a minute, head over to the Introduce Yourself channel and give us a bio about yourself...and welcome to The Pit!

I really like Meathead's recipe FWIW >> Buffalo Wings On The Grill

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...the_grill.html

the DC Mumbo Sauce rawks!

Comment

try this for the little people dry brine than fry or bake until crispy than let them dunk my grand kids love this
                          Applesauce Barbeque Sauce
                          Applesauce gives this sauce a nice texture that coats well on meat. It has a sweet spicy, flavor that is excellent on chicken or pork. It may also be canned in sterile containers for later use, or for giving as gifts. Prep Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 30 Minutes. Makes 3.5 cups (28 servings)

1 cup applesauce 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
                          ½ cup ketchup 1/2 teaspoon paprika
                          2 cups brown sugar ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
                          6 tablespoons lemon juice ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
                          In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix applesauce, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, and onion powder. Stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and use to baste the meat of your choice.

Papa bobs notes
                          Replace the applesauce with raspberry puree, cherry puree mango puree (raspberry and cherry works well) a really good dipping sauce for chicken fingers

add a chili pepper while simmering for the adult version, jalapeño, habanero what ever floats your boat I usually will take a fresh pepper and slit from tip to almost the stem end like a X than let it float for as long as you like than take it out or mince and leave it in wht ever your heat level is
                          Last edited by Papa Bob; November 14, 2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Papa Bob. Welcome back, hope you're doing well!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here