Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC turkey without the Hanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC turkey without the Hanger

I have a 12 lb. turkey I would like to cook on my PBC this weekend but I do not have the turkey hanger. Has anyone quartered a turkey and hung the 4 pieces before. And if so should I put the breast pieces in at the same time as the leg/thigh pieces

Thanks

you can just spatchcock it and put a hook through each breast. Thats how i did mine before i got the hangers.

Comment

Or just leave it whole and insert the hooks through the breast rib bones right below the wing joints. I poke through from the inside of the cavity.

You can also spatchcock it and set it on the grate skin side up.

Comment

Just hang that spatchcocked turkey with hooks onto a rebar placed diagonally.

Here's a photo with a straight across rebar orientation with one rebar removed:

Put foil on Mr. Turkey's feet so they don't burn.

Kathryn

Comment

I cook all my poultry like fzxdoc. Spatchcock, hook and hang. I'll watch the synovial (for further discussion on this word check below) joint on the bigger birds and wrap when needed.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 27, 2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I love it when Jerod talks dirty. The synovial joint, whew! A synovial joint, also known as a diathrosis, joins bones with a fibrous joint capsule that is continuous with the periosteum of the joined bones, constitutes the outer boundary of a synovial cavity, and surrounds the bones articulating surfaces. So, when I do a turkey I do as fzxdoc does, then as Jerod P Broussard says I watch the synovial joint & hope for a good tasting turkey.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too. Jerod ( Jerod Broussard ) talking dirty is an oxymoron, though.

K.

Say Wha..? This Old Country Boy has Just Been Smoked! 😚🤔😳🤔😚
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Could'nt light on any one emoji huh?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here