Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning the Turkey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning the Turkey.

Have smoked several turkeys over the years with mixed results, but decided to give one a try this past weekend. Armed with Meathead's book and a bunch of charcoal this is what I did.

Spatchcocked the turkey and salted it for a dry brine. Original weight was 20lbs so I estimated 18 after trimming and removing the backbone and used 9 teaspoons kosher salt. Went in the fridge for 18hrs.
    Started charcoal with one mini-log of pecan and seasoned the meat with Simon and Garfunkel seasoning rubbed under and on top of the skin. Back in the fridge while I prepped the smoker. I have a homemade drum smoker. Layered unlit coals and 3 pieces of pecan wood around outside and dumped hot coals and wood in middle. Used a DigiQ controller.
    After 30 minutes or so temp was near 300 so the bird went on cavity side down. Held between 300-325 for first 2hrs, but then had some controller problems and temp started to slowly drop as the fan stopped. The cooker was at 245 when the meat-probe read 150 in breast, 165 in thigh and I moved it to my gas grill for finishing. Used 2 of the 3 burners on my Weber to keep temp around 325 until probe read 160 in the breast, thigh was 175. I didn't cut immediately as my wife wasn't home from work yet so I left it uncovered in the oven to rest.

Meat was very juicy, but the flavors were mild. May have gone too light on the seasoning, but I also think the size of the breast played a role. Hard to get flavor in the middle. Will consider book's advice and try smaller bird next time. Smoke flavor was fairly intense so could probably cut down to 1 lit and 1 unlit next time. Overall I was very happy for trying a very different technique from what I had been doing. Any additional advice for getting flavor into big breasts and other techniques is greatly appreciated. Meant to take more pictures, but only got this one after the cook was done.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sos2979; February 22, 2017, 10:11 AM.

Looks really good. Can try injecting, i normally do

Comment

That is a beautiful bird! +1 on what customtrim said. I like to inject my birds as well. How about a picture of your smoker??

Comment

• sos2979
        sos2979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't have any on my phone, but I'll update later. It don't look like much, but it works. Been thinking about buying another drum as this one is about dead. Can move over the firebox and grates so it's cheap.

Definitely very nice looking. The smaller bird idea can help with the breast meat flavor.

Comment

Very nice looking bird. Only thing would be to inject and maybe some more simon and garfunkel rub. Otherwise it looks perfect.

Comment

From the title, I didn't expect to scroll down and see something that looked so outstanding. Nice work! I'm definitely in favor of the smaller turkey idea, if flavor is an issue. I don't even bother injecting a 13 pounder and they always turn out great.

Comment

Good lookin bird

Comment

That's a nice looking cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here