Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey, Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey, Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Excited to be smoking my first turkey, BUT didn't read anywhere that you could almost DISLOCATE your shoulder spatchcocking the thing!! I had to get on a step ladder to be high enough to apply enough pressure to break the #!*% breast bone. Still not sure if the pop was the breast bone or my shoulder! Finally got the turkey on the smoker, sat down in front of the TV only to remember I need a 12 step program for my football withdrawals. Can't wait for my turkey to be done...

kmwweiskircher I hope that yer shoulder is okay, an' yer turkey is fantastic!!!!

Comment

With a sharp knife, score either side of the breastbone. It'll flatten out easy peasy.

Comment

Maybe your turkey was on steroids? Haha. But seriously show us some pics of this bird when done. Also what kind of smoker are you using? Hope your shoulder is OK.

Comment

• kmwweiskircher
          kmwweiskircher commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm smoking on the Good One Open Range I won : ) The turkey is a 21 pounder, (which MIGHT not fit on the grill spatchcocked...) I was reading the "dumb question" thread, feeling pretty dumb! Ended up quartering the turkey. (My response is too long so I have to finish on another post!)

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was doing snow clean up and making my own dinner. But from what I see you pulled off your cook pretty well. The pic below looks great. Congrats.

I'm having trouble getting the temp back up to 325 after putting the turkey on. The temp dropped to 240 after opening the lid and putting the turkey in. It's been over an hour and the temp is only up to 280. I've added hot coals. Any ideas?

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          What are you cooking on?

• kmwweiskircher
          kmwweiskircher commented
          Editing a comment
          The Good One Open Range

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately, I am not familiar with it. Is your temp probe >2" from the bird? A chunk of wood will increase your temp (mild wood, Apple or cherry would be good, I think). I actually close down my intake vents a bit to increase temp (counterintuitive, certainlyI).
          Wish I could be more helpful!

I am unfamiliar with your cooker, but would think to open the intake and perhaps the exhaust vent some.

Comment

• kmwweiskircher
          kmwweiskircher commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I did that and the temp is creeping up. I'm at 300 now. Do you know if the type of charcoal makes a difference? The instructions call for lump coal, but I had Kingford Brickettes in the garage and used those.

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          Most of us use original Kingsford. If I remember right for higher temps use Kingsford competition.

Hopefully you will be able to get it up to the 325-400 range.

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          If your bag of Kingsford was open you may be suffering from humidity retained in the charcoal and that always creates problems.

I f you haven't already crank both the intake and exhaust vent full open and monitor closely. Upon seeing the temps rising shut it back as the temps will continue to rise.

Get a PBC and do a whole turkey. Problem solved.

Comment

• kmwweiskircher
          kmwweiskircher commented
          Editing a comment
          That may have to be my next one! I think the hubs will take that over though!

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          She won this in one of the monthly giveaways within the last two months I think. Sounds like her first cook.

• kmwweiskircher
          kmwweiskircher commented
          Editing a comment
          I did win it! Hubby did a half brisket and a slab of ribs last weekend. This was my first cook on the smoker. I'm used to a COS, so it will take a bit for me to get used to it. I'm sure putting the drip/gravy pan underneath and over crowding the top rack had something to do with my temp troubles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4323.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	274858 While I was worrying about temps at least it kept cooking! I forgot to cover the wing tops and legs.

Comment

• kmwweiskircher
          kmwweiskircher commented
          Editing a comment
          wing tips

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks pretty dang good!

Looks really good and you obviously rose to the occasion despite you challenges.

Comment

Great job and congrats on the win again. I'm excited you got to try it out and are sharing. I know the weather was bad before. The photos are really good. I use the Kingsford Comp because I am using it to start wood and it gets good and hot. It doesn't hold as long as the Blues, though. Since this is your first go around on the unit I would expect it to be a little inconsistent. You probably need a few cooks to season it up and learn it. Based on your photos your learning curve is very short!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks like some delish yardbird!!!! Nice job, yer only gonna git better as ya' get used to that cooker!
              Congrats on all!!!

Comment

Very nice!!!!!

Comment

GREAT COOK!!

CONGRATS on your win and thanks for posting the results. Hope you enjoyed it!

Comment

I bought a inexpensive pair of tin snips at Harbor Freight. They are the best pair of poultry shears that I've ever owned. No issues spatchcocking turkey!

Comment

• kmwweiskircher
                      kmwweiskircher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great idea! After watching Alton Brown, I have a box cutter to score the out side of a ham, pull off tough skin and some fat, then mist with bourbon...YUM! Sounds like I'll be adding another tool to my gadget drawer! Box cutter, tin snips...who knew! Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here