Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trying new style of buffalo wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying new style of buffalo wings

so working on making a new style of wings for me as I like them breaded like deep fried. I first dipped them in cream ( it was all I had at the moment) plus it sticks better then into franks red hot then dredged in flour and set aside to cool and dry for a hour, after a hour I recoated in flour so they had a nice dry finish coat. ( no not like lacquer). heated grill to 375 and cooked them low on a mat on a 2 zone setup being they were still going to be soft and sticky. I use my half griddle on a 2 zone setup it works wonders for searing a steak or any other meat you want to do with no flare ups at all. the wings cooked a little quicker than I expected but turned out reasonably well for a first attempt at doing this way. my goal was not to create a Nashville hot style but more of a breaded with the mild flavor of franks in the background with out all of the vinegar taste associated with it. taste was not bad you could feel the heat coming thru as I would say they were a mild medium where someone who is not big on the heat may enjoy them. plan on trying some more next time I wont be so lazy and will do it with a buttermilk dunk first Click image for larger version

Name:	wings.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	262997Click image for larger version

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	262998

Interesting. Keep the experiments up and result coming. I lost a BBQ wing challenge against my son a couple of weeks back. I had all sorts of excuses, including that we were going straight from frozen to the BBQ. Even though I would beat him under normal conditions (he would vehemently refute that), if you give me something to add to the arsenal I would certainly use it against him.

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      will probably do another stab at them next week

Please keep us posted! I love wings but have never made a batch on the grill that I'd call successful.

Comment

Congrats on the successful experiment. What kind of flour did you use? Dipping in buttermilk and then dredging in self rising flour works great when frying. I'm not sure what it would do on the grill though.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a all purpose flour

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        customtrim - If you'd like to try self rising all you have to do is add one tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp of salt per cup of apf to make it self rising. I put it in a gallon zipper bag and shake it up to mix.

Ok folks it's Friday time to cook and make a second try on some wings. This time coated with parmigiano, Chipotle, chili powder, onion powder,garlic powder and course fresh ground pepper to keep in the Buffalo taste injected with some Frank's original. Stay posted Click image for larger version

Name:	1484945509979-87926651.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	265735

Comment

These came out pretty D@#! Good cooked at 350 on a mat two zone. They were not crispy I believe from the oil from the cheese and being on the mat, placing on the grates may help alleviate that. I waited till after cooking to cut them to help keep the Frank's in, all in all a pretty good cook Click image for larger version

Name:	17 - 1 (1).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	265786

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here