Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked German Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked German Chicken

I grew up with a German/Hungarian background. One of my favourite dinners my mother used to make was sauerkraut and pork hocks. Which was the best ever!! Since I do all of the cooking in my family, well, my wife doesn't like pork hocks and my kids don't like sauerkraut Since I found this recipe a while back I've come to a compromise that the whole family enjoys. I think I've changed it enough from the original that I can call it my own. If you like sauerkraut or even if you've never had it but are interested, you have to give it a try.

Prep time: 15 min.
    Cook time: 2 hrs.

What you need:

8 chicken thighs skinned (You can use whatever pieces you like but, I choose thighs)
    2 cups sauerkraut with juice
    1 cup 1000 Island salad dressing

Do this:

Take your skinned thighs and smoke them for a little while, but don't cook them. No need to season with salt or any other spice, all you're looking for is to put some smoke on them. I don't like a lot of smoke so usually I'll take a 2-3 oz. hunk of pecan wood or similar and smoke the pieces for 20 or 30 minutes at a low temp like 225. While the chicken is on the grill take your sauerkraut and mix it with the salad dressing. You can also start pre heating your oven to 350F. When the chicken is smoked bring it in and put it into a baking dish that you'll put in the oven, or a dutch oven if you want to finish it on the cooker. Pour the sauerkraut mix on top of the chicken and put it in the oven or cooker at 350F. I usually leave the lid off the dish but if your sauerkraut doesn't have much juice you may want to put a lid on it at least for some of the cooking time. You'll want to watch it so it doesn't burn in that case.

I like serving this with potatoes, and whatever veggies you have in the house. Mash up some potatoes and put a few good spoons of the sauerkraut on top. I'll also put a small spoon of raw diced onion on top of that

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4527.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	26118

Name:	IMG_4530.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	26119

Name:	IMG_4532.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	26120

Name:	IMG_4533.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	26121

Name:	IMG_4535.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	26122

I would love to hear some feed back if you try this recipe. Whether you like it as is or if you would change anything. Enjoy!!

This was a novel way of combining chicken and sauerkraut! I love sauerkraut myself, will have to try this one. I like the fact that you smoke the chicken lightly, I guess that will come through in the final dish in a subtle way. Very professional!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
      ... will have to try this one. I like the fact that you smoke the chicken lightly, I guess that will come through in the final dish in a subtle way. Very professional!
      Thanks Henrik! Yes, the smoke from the chicken comes through in a very nice way. If you try it I'd like to hear what you think!

Comment

Looks awesome, thanks for sharing, I need to try this soon!

Comment

• cdd315
          cdd315 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, let me know what you think!

GREAT recipe right! Thank you.

Comment

• cdd315
          cdd315 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jon!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here